Cliff Hangers

Cliff hangers are a plot device used to hook the reader. This is where the protagonist is facing a difficult dilemma or confronted with a shocking revelation. A cliff hanger is used in hope that the reader will continue reading or return for the next series to see how the protagonist solves the dilemma or copes with the new revelation. 

Cliff hangers can be used at almost any point in a story. It is usually used in the middle of a story at the end of a chapter to engage the reader further. Or can be used at the end if a book is the only one in the series and the author isn't planning to write any more, the author may put in a cliff hanger leaving the reader wanting another series and giving a good end to the book. 

However, cliff hangers aren't for everyone, and in some occasions can annoy readers if at the end of a novel, as some readers prefer slightly solved endings. Thus, it is important to think about who you are targeting your novel for. 

  A cliffhanger builds tension and anticipation.   

Example: Shakespeare uses a cliffhanger in Act 1 Scene 1 of his play "The Tempest". The scene of a storm and shipwreck is depicted in a most vivid manner but the audience is unsure if anybody on the ship survived. The device is employed with the purpose that the audience will return to see the next act. Finally, the fate of the crew on board is revealed in Act 2 Scene 1 and the focus of the audience is ensured by that time.

Don'ts with cliff hangers: 

*Don't include too many cliff hangers. Too many can disengage the reader and can potentially distract the reader from the plot line.

*Don't put one at the end of your first chapter. Cliff hangers are best halfway through the novel because it comes across as a complete surprise to the reader. Think out how the cliff hanger affects your book and what the reader will think about it. 

Do's with cliff hangers:

*Do not be afraid to use cliff hangers, they can make a novel memorable. 

* Do make sure you place them in a suitable place of your story, making sure it has a purpose rather than just used as an attempt to engage the reader. Make sure it is a necessary part of your novel.