Plots & Clichés

A cliche is an overused saying, plot or idea that shows no originality as is merely copied from someone else and therefore does not show your creativity. 

Plots to avoid:

These plots are over used: 

*A friend rejecting another character because the character was not hot, and then the character came back later in the novel and is now hot and the friend now likes them. 

*Boy band romance with girls. For example one direction dating you. Student and teacher dating and trying to avoid being caught. 

*Best friend love- although this happens in real life, it is over used in novels. 

*A girl having to move away from her friends and doesn't want to move and then meets a boy that she falls in love with. 

*Accidental texting- characters accidentally text one direction and end up dating Harry Styles.

*Twilight stories.

*Bad boy books, which you will probably have seen a lot of on Wattpad.

Plotting:

Don't leave it to too late in the book to mention the character's crippling ability or disaster. Also don't leave important facts or objects too late in the story. For example she was saved by the net that was given to her by her dad when she was six.

When writing plots and about characters don't make it predictable. Allow the reader to consider possibilities and surprise them. However, make it realistic don't suddenly say they got abducted by aliens, and don't link everything to that one fact the reader knows about the plot or characters.

Novels have natural endings; don't try to lengthen it by adding more drama. Don't bring something else in such as a romance element unless you have hinted at it in previous chapters.

Plot twists:

Make plot twists unique and interesting. Make sure the plot is slightly predictable; don't just bring it in out of nowhere. There doesn't need to be lots of evidence with your hints it can be scattered about rather than all in one go. If you want it to surprise the reader use subtle hints and less reactions and actions of the character.

Don't make plot twists out of character. For example don't make your characters act different just to surprise the reader. Don't make your character act like something that completely contradicts with what they are.

Repetitive plot twists are interesting. For example an even that was only supposed to occur once occurred again and again. But, don't make it coincidental such as each character being killed.

Something should come from the plot twist. Don't have a plot twist that doesn't affect the rest of the novel. Something should change due to that plot. If someone dies than it should affect the characters relationships. Plot twists should tie in with your plot.

Plot tips:

Combine small elements or ideas together if one idea isn't exactly going anywhere, or even to make your plot more interesting and less predictable.

Ask questions about your ideas. For example why a character reacts the way they do. And keep adding questions. For example Elizabeth will not walk down a particular road. Why will she not walk down that road? Perhaps a car accident happened on that road. Why would that car accident stop her from using that road? Perhaps her parents were in the car accident. What caused the car accident? Who else was in the car accident? Was Elizabeth in the car accident? Where were Elizabeth's parents going that day? Are her parents still alive? When did the car accident happen? And so on...

Develop your character's actions and background gradually throughout the novel. It shouldn't develop in just one chapter. Large descriptive paragraphs that set the scene are boring and are not a good opening to a chapter or the beginning of a book. Give small snippets of hints and clues that provoke the reader's thoughts and feelings and engage the reader to consider various outcomes from a particular event.

Keep a notebook by your bed. Pen and paper is always best. This means you can write things that come to mind in the middle of the night instead of forgetting them.

Give your plot layers and add subplots. This will help to add depth and keep the reader interested. This is because there are more things for the reader to think about and that means the reader is more likely to be surprised by the climax.

Questions to ask yourself to avoid clichés:

Clichés are so predictable. Your ideas should be original but, when adding a plot twists make it relevant and suitable for your novel and not out of the blue. A great idea is to get someone else to read your book and they can then say if it is predictable and whether it is an original idea. 

If I said one thing would happen should I make it the opposite? 

Would readers be able to predict this? 

Have I seen this plot twist, idea or character trait before?

How can I add a unique twist to it? 

Is this idea overused? 

Does my plot have layers and does it have tension building up to a climax? 

Have I over-described this scene?

Have I left anything out or forget to mention anything that is an important clue to the ending?