Writing Scenes

Write a scene in steps:

1) Write what needs to happen in this scene. Does a character overcome a flaw? Is there a conflict? 

2) Write what the worst thing that could happen if the scene is excluded from the book. This will help you to make sure the scene is needed. 

3) Write who needs to be in this scene. Don't put unnecessary characters in as it can distract the reader from the plot. 

4) Write where the scene could or does take place. Make it realistic/relevant, but also make it interesting. Is there a reason why it takes place there? 

5) What is the most surprising thing that could happen in the scene? 

6) Write the length of the scene. Is it a long scene or short scene. This will help you work out how much time and thought should be spent on it and how much you should write. 

7) Plot three different ways it could begin. Does it jump right into the action or is there a build up to the action? 

8) Visualise the scene? What does the setting look like? Use your senses. What noises are there? How do the characters behave or react to different scenarios? Does the scene make sense, or is it lacking something? Is it easy to visualise?

9) Write a scribble version of the scene. Alternatively bullet point what happens, time, place, characters involved. 

10) Write the full scene. Once you have written it read it. What does it lack? What could be removed easily without destroying the plot? What can be changed? What could be added to engage the reader more? 

11) Repeat each step to make sure you cover all scenarios of what could possibly happen in the scene and make sure everything is necessary. 

Fight scenes:

The idea is to create a realistic narrative that is believable. Many writers treat conflict skills as magic or powers. The characters are your driving force behind the narrative so make sure the character's combat skills fit with the type of character they are.

Fighting is about the body. So a punch to the throat is different to a punch to the stomach. Understand where the strikes can go. What damage will that strike do? If you hit their windpipe that could affect their breathing. If you strike their leg then they may be slightly crippled and struggle to walk or get up easily. If you strike the organs that can lead to potential death. What are your character's motives? With fighting work with the end result.

The trick is not what the character knows, it is what they can do with the skills they have. A character is responsible for their actions rather than their intentions. The reader wants to know what happens to the characters after they are struck.

Go into detail, be exact and specific. What weapon do they use? How do they plan to attack? Concentrate on the character's posture. Are they hunched over? This could show defensiveness or the character is nervous. Put a clear picture together of the scene before the fight even occurs.

Avoid too much information if you want a fast paced sequence. Break pieces apart and put them back together and make sure they link and are relevant to your novel.

Know the type of combat your character is using. For example there are different types of karate and different levels. Know the social customs of fighting in the country that the character practises in. Who trained the character to fight? Stick to basics, characters will turn to the most familiar techniques in times of need.

Writing sex scenes:

Gain knowledge about the topic, research it if you haven't learnt about it in sex education. Yeah I will leave that one up to you. ;-)

Do not over describe the scene because it can take the dramatic effect away from the scene. The best sex scenes are built up over time through a relationship developing throughout the novel. The scene needs to be worked up to. The tension should build up as the characters start to interact more.

Don't throw in a sex scene just to gain followers as this does not always work. Only use sex scenes if it is relevant to the novel.

Write romance realistically:

* Writers commonly say there were sparks. If there are sparks don't put so much emphasis on it.

* Don't make the relationship perfect. In real life couples can hate each other at some points and argue a lot. They are not always perfect. In addition they are unlikely to immediately go back to hugging and jumping into each other's arms right after an argument. Make it realistic, such as they argue and both feel upset that they argue and make up the next day. Don't make it a soap opera- don't drag the sobbing or fight out.

* If a character finds their soul mate, it is not an excuse for them to ditch all of their friends for that guy. Make it realistic please. Perhaps the friends hang out with her less and like her less.

* Only use jealously if you have made it clear that the guy really wanted the girl. Than you can use a small amount of jealousy but, don't make it the main focus of your novel.

* Make it realistic-avoid a guy giving you poetry because that is unlikely to happen unless you are setting your story many years ago. When the guy compliments the girl making as casual as possible. Guys are not likely to delve into a deep paragraph on how beautiful a girl looks. Make it sound like they are uncomfortable about saying it, this could be by including stuttering or pauses or the guy starting to contradict themselves.

*Romance should never be the only focus of your novel. People learn to love each other because they shared a particular experience together.

Write Like A ProOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara