Beginnings

Beginnings should be interesting and should make the reader want to read on. 

Beginning with dialogue: You can start your novel by dialogue but avoid "Hi, how are you?" Make it interesting. Or you can use monologue with philosophy but, make it unique and relevant to your story.

Beginning with description: If you start your story with description make it interesting. Don't describe something that is irrelevant or is not important in your novel. 

Begin with action: This is the best option and engages the reader immediately. Go straight into the action. This is a good idea to capture the reader and makes the reader want to read more. If you just right about the scenery then it can get boring. Starting straight with the action also allows the reader to get an idea what the novel is about. 

Good opening sentences: Short and snappy, immediately set the tone of the story, quickly raise question which you want answered and are surprising. 

Vivid imagery: You should use vivid imagery to set the scene for your story, through the use of clear and colourful language. Engage the reader to feel a part of the story, lay down themes and emotions of the character.

Cliches: Avoid writing cliches, be original. The beginning is supposed to shock, surprise the reader and is unforgettable. Your book should stand out not be the same as others. Be dramatic and draw the reader in from the first sentence. 

Avoids: Try to avoid cluttering with back story. Back story is important but, at the beginning of your novel is not the best place for it. Perhaps start your novel with the character being in a particular situation and then through the novel there are hints on how the character ended up in that situation. 

Avoid alarm clock or morning scenes because they will have no relevance to your novel. 

Avoid weather and setting, it may sound poetic but is not interesting. You can start with something more interesting and add weather and setting later. 

 Avoid character summary we don't want to know everything about your character in the first chapter.

Avoid describing location such as how far away your character is from home, it is boring and unnecessary. 

Top tip: 

Show your characters personality by the end of the first chapter. Not just basic, give the reader a hint of the characters flaws. Go into more depth. It doesn't have to be obvious. For example if your character will not go down a particular road. They always take the longer way and their friends don't question about it. This gives a hint to the reader without giving too much away and engages the reader because they want to read more to find out why your character can't go down that particular road.