Chapter 10

"Do you know where the library is?" I asked the guard standing outside Dominic's room.

He stared at me dumbfounded and I repeated my question. He didn't answer.

"Do you at least know where Dominic is?" I sighed.

"D-Dominic ?" He frowned.

"The King."

"His highness is in a meeting with the ministers." He answered stiffly.

"Thank you very much." I muttered and made my way down the hallway.

I'd woken alone in the bed. From the looks of it, it was evident that Dominic had been long gone. I'd rummaged around the room and found appropriate clothing. If a man's shirt and loose pants were appropriate. Luckily, the pants had loops and I'd found a belt. It was better than nothing.

Bathing with cold water had not been a fun experience at all although having taps was better than carrying buckets. Beate was a sunny nation and even though I didn't miss it at all, the warm water was something I'd begun appreciating a lot more. I couldn't find anything to tie my hair with so after brushing out all the knots, I'd left it open.

The only other person I knew apart  from Leo and Dominic was Beluh. I was hoping that she could help. On my way to the kitchen, I heard a familiar noise. It sounded like sword fighting. It was coming from the deep end of the garden. I saw no harm and followed the voice.

I came across a pathway that I hadn't noticed last night. I was disappointed that my observation skills had been so underwhelming. I blamed it on the fact that I'd just woken up from a near death experience. Even thinking about the poison made me shudder.

Being a thief had forced me to study my surroundings very carefully. It also has to do a lot with the fact that I had always been running for my life since Henry died. My survival depended on it. I pushed the thoughts away and focused on the present.

The weather was cold to say the least. It was windy but I'd smartly picked a thick shirt. Dominic's clothing was unsurprisingly monotone. As I made my way, I noticed that the number of trees had increased. After walking on the stone path for a while, I saw that there was a grassy clearing up ahead, big enough to practice.

"You lost, Kaili." a girl came into view. Another one stood some distance away.

"I'm not done yet." The second girl muttered. She was tall, tanned and blonde. In one word, she was absolutely stunning. Her features were almost feline and she had curves in all the right places. I was jealous for a moment.

"Of course." The first girl had her back turned to me but I could tell who she was. Orange hair had been cut short and they rested just below her ears.

"Are you going to stand all day like an idiot?" Kaili said. For a moment, I couldn't understand that she was talking to me. Shrewd green eyes looked me over and all the jealousy I'd felt before quickly melted into irritation.

Ariadne turned around to look at me, confused. She was definitely Leo's sister. His huge brown eyes were copied on her face, confirming my guess. Apart from that, there were no similarities. She had small, plump lips and a slightly upturned nose. While Leo was a huge man, Ariadne was no taller than me.

"Who are you? I've never seen you before." She cocked her head to the side.

"Seraphina."

"Leo told me about you!" She smiled, before curtsying, "your highness."

"He...married you?!" Kaili grimaced, "you look like a man."

Don't kill her. Don't kill her. Don't kill her. Don't kill her.