Chapter 39

"Where are you going?" I mumbled when Dominic stepped out of the bed.

It was midnight.

"Go back to sleep." He said, getting dressed. "I'll be back soon."

"That isn't what I asked." I sat up, clutching the sheets around myself.

He turned to look at me.

"You'll be the death of me." He groaned when I got off the bed.

Dominic's reacting to my lack of clothing was always funny.

"One would think you'd be used to this by now." I laughed, grabbing a fresh pair of clothes from the closet. Even though I was tired, I was determined to accompany him.

"It's not the same with you." He sighed. "I can't convince you to stay back, can I?"

"Absolutely not." I said, getting dressed in record time.

"I want to question Leah." He said, "will you be able to handle it ?"

"I will try." I said honestly. He sighed again and I shrugged in return.

He took my hand in his as we made our way to the prison. I raised an eyebrow at that gesture. Dominic wasn't always this sweet in public.

"Everyone's going to think you're going soft." I said.

"I disagree."

"How shocking." I sighed.

"They can think that I'm going soft. It can only work in my benefit." He said, "I've often found easy success when I'm underestimated."

"When did that happen?" I frowned.

"The first few kingdoms I conquered are a good example of that." He said.

"Will you tell me what happened?" I asked tentatively.

"It would be my pleasure." He pursed his lips, "here we are."

Leo and Jace were already there and I wondered if they slept at all.

"I see you made up." Leo grinned.

"Did you make a bet?" I chuckled.

"I did not." He said proudly, "even though Ariadne tried to convince me otherwise."

Jace raised an eyebrow at that.

"Has she said anything?" Dominic asked, in a no nonsense tone.

"She kept asking for you." Leo sighed and moved aside to reveal Leah behind the bars.

"Ah!" Leah took a step forward, "you came."

She gave Dominic a broad smile. Even in such simple clothes, she managed to look attractive.

"Does Rais know you're here?" Dominic asked, his grip tightening on my hand.

Leah's eyes narrowed in on that and her smile vanished completely. She looked at me with contempt.

"Not exactly." She smiled at him once again as though they were old friends, "the last time I saw Rais was a few weeks ago."