Chapter 28

"I altered the spell that bound us." He said.

"Explain." I demanded.

"When you were..." he paused as though looking for a proper way to say it, "sick...I took you to a Mage. I wanted to know why my healing abilities weren't helping yours. He said it was because my body was immune to poison and it was rejecting everything that could hurt me."

"Go on..." I urged.

"So I asked him to change that. I wanted to extend my healing capacity to you. He said that it could go either way. Once the spell was done, either we would both have died or..."

I had no words and so I just stared at him. It was truly astounding that Dominic went to such great lengths to save my life. There was also a strong sense of guilt because he had to risk his life for doing so.

"You know the rest." He said, "by doing that, I also gave you another one of my abilities."

"What is that?" I whispered.

"Magical potions don't affect us." He sighed, "so if either one of us dies..."

"The other doesn't." I finished. I should've been relieved that Dominic wouldn't die if I did but I wasn't, a selfish part of me was disappointed because he was no longer bound to me in any way.

"Are you alright?" He reached forward and took my hand in his.

"So all this time....it was all a lie ?" I choked out, "we were married only in name."

"Of course not." He frowned, "my feelings for you are very real."

"Why didn't you tell me this from the start?" I muttered.

"I'm sorry for lying to you." He sighed, "I thought it was better if you didn't know what I did to save you. I didn't want you to live in guilt."

Well, you're out of luck then.

I took a moment to just absorb it all. It was quite an overwhelming bit of information.

"So does infidelity lead to death ?" I raised an eyebrow.

"I don't know. I don't wish to either." He sighed. "Why do you ask?"

"No reason." I shrugged wanting nothing more than to curl up in bed and forget about the day. "I'd like to sleep now."

He nodded and we were off to the bedroom.

"Am I forgiven?" He asked.

"What is there to forgive?" I laughed bitterly, "you risked everything for me. I should be thanking you."

"This is what I was afraid of." He said, raking a hand through his hair.

I didn't give him an answer. If he wanted me to sit around happily while he went out of his way to save my life, he was going to be thoroughly disappointed.

"Are you going to talk to me?" He asked after a while.

"Thank you." I said, just as we entered the room.