Chapter 44

"What is this?" Dominic demanded as soon as we were in the infirmary. He put me down on a chair and I just focused on sitting up straight.

"Give me a moment." Cleo frowned, hovering over me.

"She said my face looks weird." Dominic said, "and she's drowsy."

"Oh come on Dominic, the weird part isn't because of her sickness." Leo spoke.

I sighed.

"How is your vision affected?" Cleo inquired.

"Everything is....twisted." I said, trying to explain.

"Ah." Cleo straightened up.

"It's not what we thought, is it?" Dominic asked.

"No, your highness." Cleo shook her head and I closed my eyes, motion was making me dizzier.

I thought of what Dominic had asked. He was referring to my pregnancy.

So that's why he's upset.

It was bittersweet for me. While I knew that the timing wasn't right at all, I knew how much it meant to him.

"Well, do you know what it is?" Leo asked.

"Of course I do." Cleo was offended. "This is just an infection. Her highness went to the market some time ago. I'm assuming that's when she caught it. She should be fine tomorrow. I'll give her the medicine."

"Thank you." I said, without opening my eyes.

"Have you communicated with Hara?" Dominic asked.

"No, your highness." Cleo answered.

"She should be back soon." Leo said.

"Will she be joining you ?" Cleo inquired.

"Yes." Leo answered. "We need her. Without her, we have no real chance of winning. We need that cure."

"I understand." Cleo said. "Will I be staying here?"

"Yes." Leo spoke, "unless we need you there."

"Your mother will be fine." Dominic assured. I looked at him, a little surprised. He wasn't one to console anybody.

"I appreciate that, your majesty." Cleo nodded as though his word was enough for her.

That got me thinking. The amount of faith everyone had in him was staggering. Perhaps it was because he had never failed, perhaps it was their love for him or perhaps it was because they knew him since a long time.

Maybe you should trust him too.

"This is it?" Dominic asked Cleo as she handed him a small package.

"Yes. It should heal her highness." She answered, "make sure she eats something first. If that is all...?"

"Yes." Dominic answered, turning to me once she left. "Do you want to go back to the chambers?"

"The dining room." I said. He raised an eyebrow in response.

"I'll inform them." Leo said, "you get her."

He nodded in response, tucking away the package into a pocket. My vision was returning back to normal slowly. This infection reminded me of the time Nish had poisoned me. The cold shocks came and went. This was probably the same.