Chapter 33

"Hello little sister." Jace smiled, "good to see you again."

"Good to see you too." I mumbled, struggling to breath as Jace crushed me into a tight hug.

He refrained from hugging Dominic and settled for a handshake. I was pretty disappointed.

"I wish I could say the same." Leo smirked at Ariadne.

"If you did, I'd have to drag you to Hara." She smiled back, "To get your brain checked."

I had to laugh at that.

"I got the letter." I said to Jace.

"What happened to you?" He frowned at me, "have you lost weight?"

"I may have." I mumbled.

"Why?" He looked at Dominic as though it was his fault.

"I was attacked." Dominic sighed, "that upset her."

"I'll get back to you later." Jace said to me before turning to Dominic once more, "by whom? And are you alright?"

"A few Deskans." He grimaced, "I didn't wake up for a few days."

"How did you survive ?" Jace narrowed his eyes, "the plant needed to combat their poison only grows deep in Ralia."

"What!?" I gasped, "you knew about the plant?!"

"Of course." Jace said, "it is common knowledge in Ralia. I thought it would be well known here as well since Dominic sends spies everywhere."

"Apparently not." Dominic's jaw ticked at that little taunt.

"Then how did you survive?" Jace asked.

"I have good healers." Dominic answered. I wasn't sure if it was because he didn't want to share the fact that he had powers or the fact that he was angry at Jace.

"So do we." Jace argued, "This requires more than just healing."

"I have good healers." Dominic repeated, making it very clear that he did not want to take it further.

Uh oh.

"It seems that we have a lot to discuss." Leo interjected, turning to Jace. "I'm sure you're tired. Let's take this up in the evening."

Jace looked like he was about to argue.

"What's a few more hours ?" I said, "you should freshen up and I'm pretty sure Dominic has work to finish."

"It can wait." Jace muttered, not taking his eyes off Dominic.

"I agree." Dominic muttered glaring back at him.

"Well then!" I said, unnecessarily loud. It did the job and got their attention, breaking off the staring contest. "I have a lot to discuss with Ariadne and Maria. See you boys later."

"We aren't boys." Jace muttered.

"Why do you want to talk to Maria?" Leo looked suspicious.

"You said you wanted that geography lesson." Dominic frowned at me.

"The way you're acting, I beg to differ." I looked from Jace to Dominic, "it can wait, won't you agree?"

He only stared at me in return.

"I think freshening up sounds nice." Jace sighed, "Am I staying in the same room as the last time?"