NINE|LUMEN

"NO ONE WILL ever hurt you again Arden, I won't let them."

I raised my head so that my eyes met his, "They'll find a way... They always do."

  I PERCHED ON the island in the middle of the kitchen, the ashen marble was cold beneath my skin, reminding me of the night's chill. I stared down at the bowl before me, Kaden said that they were called 'Fruit loops.' Though they were loops, they certainly weren't fruit. Was this a trick?

I tried to eat them, I really did — but my body rejected the very idea of food, my stomach convulsing after the second spoon. Kaden said I had to start eating 'normally.'

Was I not normal? Did he want me to change?

This was certainly normal to me at least. But then again this whole place had its own twisted version of normalcy, where in they ate three weeks' worth of food in one sitting, slept right through the night and never once had to barter or trade. They gave each other things, namely food, but also other items and affection entirely cost-free. Wanting for nothing in return. They were strange.

He always wanted something in return. Nothing in life ever came free.

I didn't have to turn to know that Kaden was near, forever standing in the shadows, just...Watching, as he so often did. I'd begun to grow used to it by now. The scent of pine lingering with something fresh and earthy in the air, he smelled of the forest, of those last few moments of freedom.

It reminded me of a phrase I'd once heard; speak of the devil and he shall appear. Only Kaden was a far lesser evil, or so I thought.

He pulled up a chair beside me, running a hand through his fair hair.

"I need to warn you of something..." He pursed his lips as he trailed off, leaving all manner of horrid thoughts to run through my head in the encroaching silence. Then he continued, "It's my sister, Lumen. She's been begging me non-stop to meet you since the moment you arrived, only she can be a bit much sometimes and I didn't want her to frighten you. She can be quite... How should I put it?... Loud."

I didn't know how to respond, especially as I was more taken aback by the fact that the 'Big Bad Alpha' had a sister. He had never mentioned that to me before. "Ok," I said softly.

"Ok?" He echoed, heaving a sigh of release. "So you'll meet her?"

I nodded and he grimaced, " — Good because she's already on her way."

Oh no. The moment the words left his mouth I regretted agreeing. The theory of meeting another was far more welcoming than the practical.

Would she like me? What if she hated me?

Kaden would no doubt choose his own sister, his own flesh and blood, over some strange girl he picked up barely five minutes ago, so what if she did hate me and convinced Kaden I was some sort of threat? Where would I go?

"I have some paperwork I need to finish before Lumen gets here," Kaden said, rising from his seat. "You'll be alright here until I get back?" I nodded again and he continued, "I'll be in my office down the hall, if you need anything, don't hesitate to come get me."

Then he stretched out his arms, my eyes clinging to the way every muscle in his arm moved. Stop, I told myself as his footfalls slowly faded into silence and he disappeared down the hall.

My beast was right, I thought too much, and overthinking things lead to unnecessary anxiety. I had too much spare time to just sit and think, I needed a distraction. Anything, something to save me from myself.