TEN|FAITH

THE SUN BEAMED down upon us as we sped down the highway in one of Kaden's cars. I held my hand out the window as we drove, enjoying the feel of the wind dancing across my fingertips, lapping at my hair, and dulling the warm hand of the sun on my cheek.

"Kaden, if you drove any slower we'd be going backwards." Lumen wined, sitting up from where she had been lying on the back seat, "Great-Aunt Meryl drives faster than this."

An involuntary laugh escaped my lips, both my hands instantly flying to my mouth to catch the sound when I realised both Kaden and Lumen were staring at me wide-eyed.

The monster never allowed me to laugh. It was an offence that carried a hefty consequence.

The second the thought found me I scolded myself. No Arden, it's cruel to even think such a thing, I told myself. But it was too late, the thought had already entered my mind. The small thought that questioned, if even for a second, whether or not Kaden and Lumen would beat me for my laughter too.

It was a strange, yet oddly golden sound. One I hadn't heard in years, and I couldn't help but think how foreign it sounded, even to the caster. I shrunk back against the passenger seat, looking between them through wide, fearful eyes... Except they were... Smiling?

"Arden, your laugh is beautiful." Kaden grinned with a brightness to outshine the sun. Lumen nodded her head in agreement.

"Yeah, you should laugh more often," She laughed with me.

They're not mad? My wolf rumbled her distaste over my thoughts, she hated that I had such little faith in those around us, but even she knew I couldn't help it. I had been born in blood and raised in the ashes of a life I once knew; distant and foggy. Like a mist, I could only see it sometimes in my dreams but never touch.

"We're here."

"Finally." Lumen sighed, flinging the car door open and throwing herself out into the blinding mid-day sun. I climbed out beside her more cautiously, stopping briefly to close my eyes and inhale deeply. Letting the warmth kiss my skin and the crisp, fresh breeze cleanse my lungs.

"Arden?" I reopen my eyes to focus on Kaden's stunning features, classically handsome and shockingly so. Our eyes locked and he smiled, "Are you coming? We can go back if it's too much for you..."

"No. I'm fine, thank you."

I was not entirely sure what I had expected the mall to look like. Truth be told I did not know what a mall was until this moment, as we stared up at the sleek grey building. Everything was glass marble, stretching out as far as the eye could see, and the top of the building just reached out with long tendril-like fingers somewhere high to caress the clouds.

  HOURS PASSED, IT felt like days. And now I was struggling to carry on walking, even despite Kaden carrying the armfuls of bags, dresses and other unnecessary items that Lumen had persuaded me that I needed. My legs ached and feet throbbed; I'd never stood for this long before.

" — Just one more shop I promise, and then we can go home." Lumen gave me a funny look that I couldn't quite decipher. "You can thank me later for this one..."

I was confused until she practically dragged me into an aggressively pink shop, filled with sales and flashing neon signs that hurt my eyes. It was already too late by the time I realised what type of shop Lumen had brought me into. Heat invaded my cheeks as I saw what the store held, the pink walls were lined with row upon row of unmentionables.

I shouldn't be in here, I thought anxiously, I couldn't be in here.

I had to go, but something deep within me rooted me to the spot. Fear of punishment. Disobedience was never to be tolerated.