29|Fire within

In the midst of all the commotion in the cabin as the flames of the fire soared ever higher and the cards on the table spasmed and jerked around, desperate for a new order among them

Somehow, among all that commotion, my hands remained firmly grasping the old woman's, I'm sure I was gripping to tightly and that my nails were digging into her flesh, but she didn't seem to notice, and I feared that if I didn't hold on for all I was worth, I wouldn't be able to hold on at all.

I feared the unknown, afraid of the possibility that an unknown force would awaken if I dared to remove my hands from Evanora's.

Then all of a sudden, everything stopped.

The crystal ball stopped spinning,
The floor stopped quaking.
The fire stopped roaring and returned to its casual flicker.

Everything paused, until Evanora slowly raised her head, her milky eyes felt as though they were reaching deep into mine, searching for the answers to the impending questions.

She slowly loses her gaze again to focus on the cards, that had arranged themselves into a neat line, their pictures being displayed to the Oracle in front of me.

She was silent for a brief minute, before she seemed to decipher their hidden meanings that made no sense to me.

"There is a fire within you, my child, and it burns bright and true." She spoke, her voice low, yet proud.

"What does that mean?" I asked, casting my gaze between her and Lumen.

Lumen shrugged and turned back to face Evanora who spoke through the silence;

"It means you have great strength, though you may not see it in yourself, others see it within you. They see you as their leader... Their Luna."

It was a strange revelation, that people may see me as some sort of authority figure.
All my life people had looked down on me...

Until Kaden,
He was my saving grace.

My first experience of foreign love.

I had new love before Kaden, though those memories were blurred and faded, I had memories of Xavier, my mother, my father.

"But it also has a second meaning..." Evanora said, her tone as though she was trying to glide over a delicate subject.

I furrowed my brown and turned to Limen who had narrowed her eyes at the old woman and asked;

"What's is that supposed to mean?"

The Oracle hesitated for a moment and averted her glassy eyes to the cards once more.

"It means heat." She said.

"Heat?" I asked, slightly confused.

"She means your heat in near..." Lumen gasped, a worried look on her face,
"Evanora," she said, her voice stern and serious, "Can you tell us how far away Arden's heat is?"

Again the old woman paused, debating the correct answer.

"Tonight."

"Tonight?" I gasped, my eyes widening in slight fear, but come to think of it, I had been feeling and seeing slight changes in the past few weeks, my hips and breasts were fuller and more filled out, but I had just put it down to the food I was reviving.

And I had been feeling warmer than lately as of late, my clothes always felt slightly too tight, and too hot, the collars of my shirts always felt constricting and suffocating, even though they weren't.

"We need to tell Kaden-" Lumen said,

"-No." I broke in, "He can't know... I'll just brave through it."

"No Arden, I don't think you understand just quite how painful it is when a female is in heat!" Lumen blanched at the idea of me facing my heat alone.

"Lumen, promise me you won't tell him." I begged, staring Lumen directly in the eye to sign my seriousness at the situation.

She pursed her lips into a thin line before blurring out; "fine!"

"Thank you so much," I smiled, "You too Evanora, thank you for everything."

"Anytime my dear." She beamed.

"We should get back now, it getting dark and Kaden will start to worry." Lumen said, as we both said our final goodbyes to Evanora.

***
Shorter chapter than usual Ik,
But trust me...
The next chapter will makeup for it😉
Also make sure to check out my other book, AMELIA and MY AMORA.
Anyways...
Don't forget to vote and comment!
-🍟