Chapter 24 - Invitation

The following morning, Ilya and me once again left for the Adventurer Guild. The moment we entered the Guild, the hundred or so adventurers standing inside turned their heads towards us and loud whispers filled the Guild.

"Are those the new SS-rank adventurers?"

"They should be. I heard they were appointed immediately after they entered the Guild.."

"Are they that strong? They don't look like it though..."

"Heh, they look a bit weak though. That girl does have a nice figure... If only I could get her in my bed, I-"

"WHO SAID THAT?"

When I heard the perverted comment on Ilya, I couldn't restrain myself and started to shout incredibly loud.

"WHICH BASTARD SAID HE WANTS TO SLEEP WITH MY WIFE??!!!!"

Unconsciously, I activated [Intimidate] and killing intent seeped out from my body. The entire Guild shivered under the pressure I released and it instantly quieted down.

No one dared to speak up, but that angered me even more.

"You think that even a single person in this entire country is worthy of her?! You lowly beasts who can't even kill an S-rank beast, do you think you're worthy of her?! If she wanted to, she could burn down this entire country and you wouldn't even be able to touch her! And you think you are worthy of her?! The only thing you should do is beg for your pitiful lives and hope she'll grant you mercy!"

I sighed.

"Anyone who even dares to have any thoughts about her... won't live to see the next day", I added.

After I threatened them, I released the pressure. The almost hundred adventurers and the dozen Guild employees fell down as if a huge weight fell from them and looked at me like I was a monster.

I didn't bother saying anything anymore, and took Ilya's hand. Ignoring all the people laying on the floor, we walked towards Uloya who was crawling back up. She wasn't able to handle the pressure either.

When we arrived in front of her, she looked a bit scared at first, but she still assumed a professional look.

"Do you have any missions?", I asked.

"I'm sorry Sir, the highest rank mission at the time is an A-rank. It's far too easy for someone of your rank", she answered.

"I see. Then, we'll take our leave I guess", and with those words, we turned around and started to leave.

"Ah!! Sir!!", Uloya shouted at our backs.

A little bit irritated, I turned around: "What is it?"

"The royal family has invited you as guests for the coming of age ceremony of the youngest Princess"

She gave us an envelope with a large, impressive-looking seal on it. Seeing the envelope, many people gasped behind us. Seems like it's a big deal.

"Why would they invite us?"

"The royal family always invites the strongest of the nation to introduce them to the various powers that reign this world. It's a good thing both for you and the royal family"

"Sorry, not interested"

I brushed away the envelope and once again turned around to leave. Shock filled a lot of people's eyes when they saw me declining the envelope.

"Sir, please reconsider! Declining this offer would cause major frictions between yourselves and the royal family!", Uloya tried to persuade me.

I was going to decline once again, when Ilya tugged my sleeve:

"It isn't a big thing, you know. Although it was them who harmed you, you'll have to face them one day. Why not now?"

That caused my determination to waver a bit.

"How about this?", Ilya continued," We go to that party, stay only to convey our not really meant wishes of prosperity and then leave. What do you think?"

At last I gave in:" Fine"

I quickly walked back to Uloya, snatched the envelope and left together with Ilya.

We were already gone before anyone could react, but after our departure, the Guild was buzzing with sound.

Meanwhile, Ilya and me had slowed down and we strolled through the many small streets in the city.

"Toru, I'm really proud of you"

"Mn.."

Ilya grasped my hand more tightly and we continued on walking. Suddenly, we arrived back in the main street as loud shouting came from nearby.

"Want to go take a look?", Ilya asked.

I nodded my head, and we hurried toward the source of the sound.

A small child of about five years old was lying in the ground with a lot of magic stones next to her. A rather fat guy wearing fancy looking clothes stood a bit in front of her. There was a big stain on his clothes and he looked furious.

"Is that Duke Arnold? That girl is in a lot of trouble..."

"What happened?"

"The girl was moving those stones but ran against Duke Arnold..."

"I heard he killed a slave before for breathing too loudly. What do you think he'll do now that his clothes have been dirtied?"

The surrounding people were all whispering to each other about the incident but no one interfered. At that moment, an explosive sound rang out.

Duke Arnold's POV:

I exited the Merchant Guild. It had taken me a long time, but I was finally able to purchase the Golden-horned Alligator leather vest.

I saved for an entire three months to buy it, but it was worth it.

"Hahahaha!! This vest is great!!", I shouted inwardly and got on the road without looking.

BAM!!

Something hard hit me in the stomach and I fell down. Getting back up, I saw a little girl, barely 6 years old. That angered me. She wasn't even 6 years old and she actually dared to run into me?! What insolence!!

The little girl was even a slave, and seeing her red eyes, a vampire. She had tears in her eyes and started to cry.

""You filth!!! Do you even realize what you've done?!! This is real Golden-horned Alligator leather!!! It's more worth than a thousand of you put together!! You demi-humans should all be put to death!!", I roared.

Then, I raised my hand to slap her in the face, but my hand wouldn't move. An incredible force was put on my wrist, like it was forcibly being broken.

"AAAAAAAHHHH!!!!"

The pain was unimaginable. I wanted to fall down on the ground, but the force kept me in place. I couldn't move even an inch.

Suddenly, an ice-cold feeling ran over me, causing me to feel chills all over my body.

I turned around and saw a caped person. The hood concealed everything underneath it and only showed a large black hole. Then, a voice that sounded like the gushing of nearing death resounded:" Do you have the guts...to hit that girl?"