Chapter 18: Frenemy

++++++

Derek had taken off after the Kanima on foot after he told Boyd to take Isaac and Erica back to his liar at the train depot. He had sight of it as it ran down the industrial part of the town. Derek was fast but this thing was fast as well and he was barely able to keep it in his line of sight. Derek followed the trail until he seemed to have lost it underneath the highway. He couldn't see the Kanima anywhere until he heard something land a bit behind him. 

He turned to see the Kanima there, and it hissed at him. Derek let out a growl back at it. It then charged in to attack.

Not too far away, Scott, Stiles and Sabrina were in the jeep in pursuit. However, Stiles had to stop when there were tire spikes set up ahead.

"Damn," Stiles thought. "What do we do now?" he said turning to Scott and Sabrina but finding the spots empty. He looked up to see Scott and Sabrina were scaling the fence and running off the rest of the way on foot. "Okay, you do that," he mumbled before he reversed the car and went to go around.

Derek backed away to avoid when the Kanima struck at him with his claws. Thanks to its little scuffle with Scott at the pool, Derek had an idea of how the thing moved and fought. He had to be quick and careful to avoid its claws as the Kanima always seemed dead set to try to deploy its paralyzing venom at any chance it got to immobilize its opponent. He backed up into a column and waited for the Kanima to strike before he moved out of the way and it made its claws break into the column to trap it. Derek went to take its head and slammed it as hard as he could against the column. It was hardly fazed by it as it took its tail and hooked onto Derek's leg and pulled on it making him drop down onto his back. The Kanima then pulled its claws free and started to turn around and was hissing as it tried to bare down on him. This thing seemed to take pain a lot better than Derek originally thought.

Derek quickly picked up a stray piece of a damaged car door and used it as a shield as the Kanima repeatedly tried to scratch Derek and paralyze him. Derek was then forced into another column as the Kanima went and roared in his face.

Derek roared back and put his full Alpha strength into pushing the thing down. The Kanima ran for the column and started to climb it to the top of the under-path. He also remembered that it was a good climber which it used to try to gain maneuverability and speed. It used it here to try to confuse Derek as it moved around above him. No doubt it would soon jump down at Derek to try and claws him like it did against Stiles. The Kanima managed to cut into some of the electrical wiring running up there causing a great flash of light and sparks that blinded the Alpha for a moment. A moment that the Kanima used to drop down and grab Derek and throw him off to the side. It seemed to be a bit smarter than he thought too.

However, at the next moment, a pair of bright headlights lit the area and had the Kanima look at the new arrival. Chris Argent got out of the car and immediately emptied a while clip of bullets at its torso. The Kanima faltered with each bullet it got hit with before it finally fell to the ground. The lizard lay motionless, seemingly dead. The hunter then looked around and saw that Derek had disappeared.

Chris tried to see where he could've taken off to but felt something tingle on the back of his spine. He turned around to see the Kanima standing there, completely fine. He tried to shoot again but he was empty. Chris tried to quickly reload but the Kanima went and struck him and he went and collided with one of the pillars as he dropped his gun. He opened his eyes to see that the Kanima was now staring down his father who had gotten out of the car.

Gerard and the Kanima were now face to face. Neither one of them seemed to be waiting to make a blow or intimidate the other. They were just staring at each other, as if contemplating the other on some kind of deep level. The staring was stopped when something went and collided with the creature. It was Scott and Sabrina and the two stared the thing down until it just took off.