Chapter 20: Raving

++++++

Scott and Sabrina were at the Animal Clinic after the whole thing at the warehouse. Scott unlocked the door to let Derek in but saw that he wasn't alone.

"What's he doing here?" Scott said looking at Isaac who was following him.

"I need him." Derek said as he stepped in. "I don't trust him," said Scott. Isaac just walked on in. "Well, he doesn't trust you either." Isaac looked over at Sabrina and smirked. "Hello Sabrina. Where's your boyfriend?" Isaac glanced around before looking back at her. "Did you finally dump him? Cause if you did, we can go out."

"One, he's with his father, two, we're still together, and three...in your dreams." Isaac chuckled and sent a small smile to Sabrina as she did the same to him. Scott and Derek didn't notice the friendly exchange.

Isaac and Sabrina snapped their attention back onto Derek and Scott.

"You know what? And Derek really doesn't care," he said turning to Scott. "Now where's the vet? Is he going to help us or not?"

"That depends," Deaton said stepping out from around the corner. "Your friend, Jackson. Are we planning to kill him or save him?"

"Kill him," said Derek while Scott said at the same time, "Save him." Scott looked over at Derek. "Save him," he said to him. He then turned back to Deaton. "Save him," he repeated.

Deaton then took the four of them to the back room and brought out an assortment of jars with different powders and herbs inside of them. Isaac went to grab one of them but Derek grabbed his wrist to stop him. "Watch what you touch," he said before he let Isaac's wrist go.

Deaton took one of them out to look at it and Isaac leaned in. "So, what are you? Some kind of witch?" Deaton looked at him and smiled. "No, I'm a veterinarian." He then put the bottles back and Sabrina laughed quietly. "Unfortunately, I don't see anything here that's going to be an effective defense against a paralytic toxin."

"We're open to suggestions," Derek mumbled. "What about an effective offense?" suggested Isaac. "We already tried," said Derek. "I nearly took its head off. And Argent emptied an entire clip into it. The thing just gets back up."

"Has it shown any weaknesses?" Deaton asked.

Derek tilted his head. "Well, one. It can't swim." "Does that got for Jackson as well?" Deaton asked. "Hell, no. He's the captain of the swim team." said Sabrina.

Deaton nodded. "Essentially, you're trying to catch two people." He then went and fetched a medallion to show them. "A puppet and a puppeteer," he said before putting it on the table. "One killed the husband, but the other had to take care of his wife. Do we know why?"

Scott thought about it. "I don't think Jackson could do it. His mother died pregnant, too, and she was murdered. I think he couldn't let the same thing happen to someone else."

Isaac's eyes narrowed. "How do you know it's not part of the rules? The Kanima kills murderers. If Jackson kills the wife, then the baby dies, too."

Scott shook his head. "Does that mean your dad was a murderer?" Isaac shrugged. "Wouldn't surprise me if he was," he said softly. He glanced over at Sabrina who looked at him sympathetically. He nodded his head.

"Hold on," Deaton said suddenly. "The book says they're bonded, right?" Derek nodded. "What if the fear of water isn't coming from Jackson but from the person controlling him?" Deaton then went for one of the jars and opened it.

"What if something that affects the Kanima also affects its master?" he asked as he started to pour out a black powder around the medallion.

"Meaning what?" asked Isaac.