6-Interview

Marco

I hate to do this to her but there is no other way. She is a threat to me and to our group. Her presence alone is dangerous for me. We had to make sure she is not planted here by our enemies or worse, cops.

"Selena, Denaris and I have some questions which we need you to answer honestly. Be warned that we will know lies from truth. We don't mean to scare you but this is needed. You have been involved with us just by spending a night with me."

"But I was not even aware that I am with you." She looked worried. I just hope she is worrying not for the bad reasons.

"Why were you out last night and what were you running from?" Denaris intended to rattle her to see if she will give in and admit something to us. It's in his nature to be wary of everyone. It's his job to ensure that I am protected and for him, Selena is the biggest threat I will ever face.

She was quiet for a while thinking on how to respond or perhaps too scared to remember what happened to her last night.

"I was out late with my best friend and her new boyfriend. We were out drinking and having fun. But my best friend got drunk so they had to go home. I was left alone at the bar. I was kind of tipsy with all the tequila I had when this guy approached me. He was trying to talk to me but I wanted to go home. He was insistent that I drink with him but I refused, I don't know him.  . ."

She was in verge of tears. I wanted to comfort her but I stood my ground. Denaris will be the one to decide if she is stating facts or lies.

"While I was on my phone trying to call a cab, he might have put something on the glass of water the bartender gave me.  I might have been lucky I just drank half of it. I was starting to feel dizzy but I did not let myself pass out with him around. . ."

I wanted to punch the face of that maniac until his eyes bleeds so he cannot look or get near Selena again.

"I ran away as fast as I could but somehow, the spiked drink still affected me. I saw your car when I was about to cross the street and thought that was my end."

"Give me your phone." Denaris ordered Selena.

She searched her pockets expecting the phone to be with her then she remembered that she already changed her clothes.

"I don't know where it is. It's an IPhone. Have you seen it where you saw me?"

"No." Was my reply.

"Damn! All my contacts are in there. How am I supposed to work now without my phone?" She looked frustrated. She fisted her hair as if that could answer her question. 

This made Denaris look at me as a sign of warning that I should not interfere regardless of the question.

"Your phone contained 105 names of men. There are pictures of them in swim trunks. Some were half naked. Faces of various men, not less than 60 faces."

"You have my phone? Why did you have to look inside! You invaded my privacy!"

She looked livid at Denaris. I hope she forgot that I was also sitting beside her, I don't want to feel her wrath.

"We have to check it for bugs or a tracking device. You're lucky. We couldn't find anything wrong with it aside from its contents." He was looking at her like a tiger at its prey.

"Look here you dumbass! That phone is my work! I am a part time photographer. Men were my subjects since I previously worked in a Men's magazine as a freelance photographer." She sounded angry and defensive.

"Part time? What is your full time occupation? Why can't I find anything in that phone of yours?"

"I am a Landscape Architect by profession! For the record, that phone contained also the various pictures of gardens and landscapes I created!  As I've said. That phone is my work. I transfer all the photos there so I always have them with me like a portfolio. I am not even sure why I am explaining myself to you! I did not plan to be here! You picked me up from the streets where I was trying to escape someone!"

The fire in her eyes were back. I like her like that, like a wildcat. Fierce when angry.

"I'm done here Marco. I already have that man who tried to rape her. I'll take care of him for you." I nodded my head in agreement.

I heard her whimper when Denaris mentioned the man she was trying to flee from last night would have raped her.

"Yes Selena. You would have been raped if we have not found you. That man has assaulted 8 other women in the past three months. How did we find out? We have our ways. But consider yourself lucky we found you. By the way, here's your phone. The landscapes were great. Marco, you might want to hire her. Our garden here needs a touch up. Just explain her the rules if she will agree." With a pat in my back as a sign that he approved of Selena, he left the room.

"Selena. . ." I took her trembling hands and enclosed it inside mine. I wanted to comfort her from the shock of what could have happened to her.

"I guess I really am lucky. Thank you for saving me.  I will do anything to repay you for your kindness." She looked at me with teary eyes and smiled her sweet smile.  If only I could ask for her heart.

"Can you take up our offer?" I can't believe I am getting nervous for this.

"What?" She smiled and wiped her tears.

"Will you. . .fix our garden? But you have to stay here to do that. We can't have you going in and out of the estate during your work. And you can't hire anyone else to help you. I can just assign some of my men to work for you." I might have said that too fast. I was out of breath when I finished and she ended up laughing at me. God, I love her laugh. It was like music to my ears.

"Of course. I will even do it for free."

"Really?  I mean, not the free part. . .You will be compensated for your work. I am just. . . ah. . .pleased that you agreed." If my men could see me sweating like crazy just for a simple offer like this, they would taunt me forever.

"So, when do we start? I mean, when do I start?" She was still smiling at me with her pearly white teeth. I love her smile, it reaches her eyes. Not everyone could smile like that.

"Now?" I figured I was still holding her hands when she gently freed them and stretched her arm as if offering me a handshake.

"I am pleased to start business with you Sir."

I took her hands and entwined it with mine.

"First rule. Never call me Sir."

***

A/N: Isn't this exciting!? Don't forget to vote and comment! Thanks