22-Warning

As the two men approached, Alex's phone rang and it was Marco on the line.

"Don't answer the call! Lock the car! Stay here and protect Cassie if anything bad happens to me." Alex instructed the disgruntled driver and she got out of the vehicle to meet her old friends.

Alex tried to think of a way to delay their attack. On a hand to hand combat, she has a chance of survival but if they use a gun then that's another story.

She tried to think of the things she needed to win this fight. Know the environment, avenues of escape and weapons that might be available to her, which are all non-existent at the moment. The only way to eliminate her opponents is to not hold back, react with complete commitment, total aggression and to immediately injure and incapacitate her attackers.

But knowing who they are gave her another idea. Alex used another tactic.

"It's been a long time dear friends, or should I say traitors? You twins really have the nerve to try and kill me now after all the things we've shared?!" Alex tried to hide the pain she was feeling but her voice betrayed her. Her face showed anger and hatred but her heart bleeds with pain as she remembered who they were on her previous life.

"Alex. We were under a mission and you know how it is. Years ago, we wanted to warn you but we can't." They approached her with wariness on their eyes as they saw how Alex looked at them with anger and disdain.

"No need for your explanation Rodel. I've had enough of your lies! I treated you both as my brothers. I saved you both countless of times. If I have known that you will betray me I should have let you die on the hands of the enemies than risk my life saving you!" Every word she said was like daggers to the two men. They felt her anger and hurt and it was enough to stop them from their tracks.

"Sis, we didn't have a choice back then. They will be after our families if we interfere with their plans on you." Their pleading voice did nothing to Alex's stone cold heart. She risked her life for these two men but they did nothing to help her when it was her time to be saved.

"Don't ever call me Sis! You lost your right to call me that when you left me to go on a suicide mission unwarned and unaware! Red, you and your brother knew how to warn me. I would have understood and could have been prepared. I would never let them harm you or your family. You should have know better than to lead me to the cage of the wolves."

"That's why we're here now. We want to make amends. We intercepted an intel about you that you're still alive. We want to help you maintain your new identity. We already deleted the files and tried to conceal the truth but someone else found out and now they're after you."

"Why should I believe you?" Some part inside Alex wanted to believe them. They were her closest friends who mattered to her like her real brothers. But a part of her doesn't trust them. The old trusting and naive Alex died on that night and her new self doesn't want to give the two men a chance to hurt her or betray her again.

"Because we're here to help you. They're coming Alex and you have to prepare for their attack. We just wanted to see you, talk to you and warn you. Here's our number. That's a secured line. Use that only on a life and death situation. We sent a package at your current address that will give you more information for what the Team is planning to do." They tried to give her a card but she ignored them. They threw it on the floor near her feet.

"You mean this car chase is a set-up?" Alex was confused.

"No. The men back there were really after you but we gave them false coordinates so they won't follow you."

"Bro. We have to go. A car is approaching. It's a different car this time."

"Alex. We looked for you that night. We thought you're dead but when we saw that car chase video in Italy on the Internet before it was taken down, we knew 100% that it was you. Please give us a chance to make up for our mistakes."

"Bro. Come on!" Red was adamant to leave but Rodel still wanted to plead with Alex. His eyes brimmed with tears of regret and longing for her.

"Leave now or I'll be forced to fight you." She'll never fall for their trick again.

"We're really sorry Alex. Come on dude." Red pulled his brother and ran towards their car. They sped away and were just gone for a minute when another car stopped behind the Escalade.

"Alessandra!" Marco immediately got out of the car he was driving with Lance and ran towards Alex. He looked at her from head to toe, even touched her arms and face to check for any injuries.

"I'm all good. Let's go home. Please drive. I'm so tired." Alex was still reeling with the events of the evening. She thought she still has some time to enjoy her freedom from her past but it seems that it already caught up to her.

"Lance, let's go!" Two more cars arrived and it was the security team that escorted them earlier.

"I'll ride with them and you go with the other." Lance instructed Marco as they joined the two cars. The driver of the escalade transferred to the black Hummer that Lance and Marco used.

They two worried men didn't want to risk their safety. Riding with the armed security is safer and this will be their new set-up moving forward.

On the way to the mansion, Alex and Marco were both silent. Marco held her close to him while she tried to think of a way to make things easier for them. She was debating with herself whether it was worth it to risk everyone's safety just so she can have her happily ever after with Marco. Would her love be enough to repay for all the troubles and will Marco's love for her withstand the dangers of her personal battle?

Alex didn't realize that her tears started to fall. Her encounter with the twins made her realize once more that nothing is permanent in this life. Friends, family, even lovers come and goes. There would always be some force in the universe that will change them or alter how they feel towards you. There would always be something that will destroy how you see yourself or someone that will make you feel inferior and unworthy. That is how Alex was feeling. She felt that she is a problem that needs to be solved, an illness that needs some miracle to heal.

"Whatever it is you're dealing with right now babe, I'm here for you. Don't ever think that anything could change that. I love you." Hearing those words from Marco as he wiped the tears on her face did not give her any assurance, instead she felt more unworthy for his love. She realized that she's nothing compared to him. Her love for him and the sacrifices she is willing to make is insignificant to how much he loved her and wanted to protect her.

The question that has been plaguing her mind and heart is whether she should stay or leave? Would she be able to endure life with Marco knowing that any time of the day she could lose him? Or will it be better to leave him now and love him from a distance just to ensure that he and his family will always be safe from the demons of her past life?

Whichever choice she makes, the bottom line is still the same. She will be miserable and unhappy and that's no different from the old Alessandra that she was trying to escape from. Heartless. Miserable. Unhappy.