39-Family

July 21, exactly two years after Marco and Alessandra said I dos, Marco paced the hospital's hall as he heard his wife's whimpers of pain. He wanted to stay by her side but whenever she sees him, Alex's heart rate races and she wanted to claw Marco's face for subjecting her to such predicament.

"Damn. . .if I had known. . . it would hurt. . .aaaargh. . . this much. . .I would have just asked for puppies. . .instead of babies . . .Marco!" Alex controlled her breathing and voice. She tried so hard to be calm to avoid the premature birth she was about to have. She survived beatings, gunshot wounds and car crashes but the pain she felt and her anxiety for the safety of her babies were too much to handle.

"Love, just calm down please. . ." Marco whispered outside the room's door. The unit they were in has state of the art facilities for high-risk twin pregnancies like Alex's. Her doctor already gave her an infusion of magnesium sulfate, which slows the contractions of the uterus and glucocorticoids, a steroid, which mimic the natural hormone cortisol, vital to make the premature babies' lungs mature. These drugs were causing her anxiety and pain. The effect of the drugs injected to her body made her feel like she was being burned alive in flames.

"Forget your dream. . .of having. . .more than two heirs. . .I. . .aaaargggh. . ."

"Doctor, can't you give her anything for the pain? What are the risks if the babies will come out now?" Marco worriedly asked the doctor when she entered the unit.

"I will give her something for her to fall asleep but you need to help calm her down. You are only in the 34th week of gestation, far off from the full term of 37 weeks. We have to delay her labor as much as we can for the second dosage of the steroids for the development of their lungs. We'll see based on their Apgar if they will need to be placed in incubators to complete their term."

"Thank you Doctor." When the doctor left, he approached his wife and did the only thing he can think of to soothe her pain and restlessness.

"Marco. . ." He sat on the stool beside her bed, and as his lips grazed her temples, cheeks, nose and finally a chaste kiss to her lips, Alex started to calm down. Marco strokes her cheeks and hair and sang her favorite song.

"Why do birds, suddenly appear every time you are near, just like me they long to be, close to you. Why do stars fall down from the skies every time, you walk by, just like me, they long to be close to you. . .On the day that you were born the angels got together and decided to create a dream come true. . ."

Alex looked at the man beside her and thanked the heavens for giving her someone as loving, caring, gentle and perfect as him. She listened to his sweet voice before finally drifting off to sleep. She knew then that with him beside her, they could catch whatever curve ball life throws at them.

***

"Uncle Marco, where is Francesca and Alejandro?" Liam Montgomery asked as he hugged his godfather when he arrived with his parents Lance and Cassandra and his sister Luna during the Garcia twin's 16th birthday.

"Hi Uncle, Auntie." Luna kissed Marco and Alex's cheeks. Luna has just celebrated her 16th birthday the month before.

"They're at the garden. Go on and join them."

"They grew up too fast. They're even taller than me!" Cassie exclaimed and Lance just laughed as he teased his wife.

"Babe, everyone is taller than you." He teased but kissed her lips when she frowned at him and slapped his arm.

"Sometimes, I feel old when I look at the four of them." Marco looked at his children and godchildren.

"You are old. See how many gray hairs I found on your head the other night?" Alex laughed at him and he pulled her closer for an open mouthed kiss.

"Eeew! Mom, Dad, enough with the PDA! Our friends are looking at you." Francesca said as she greeted her Godparents by kissing their cheeks. Liam who was just behind her laughed.

"They always do that. Too cheesy. . ." Alejandro whispered to Luna after he hugged his Godparents.

"Don't worry, Mama and Papa are just like them." Luna rolled her eyes and Alejandro smiled.

"Kids, go back to your guests."

"Dad, will you please tell Uncle Denaris to quit staring at our guy friends? It's pretty creepy."

Alex just shook her head as Marco just waved his hand at Francesca.

"He's only protecting all of you. Go on. . . have fun."

"Fine."

The four teens went back to join the party.

Marco and Alex will always be thankful for the trustworthy friends and warm family that they have. Regardless of the shady and violent part of their identities, they lived a normal life filled with happiness and love.

THE END

-THE END-

***

Thank you for loving Marco and Alex! 

The Mafia Lies 

All rights reserved 2017

Completed: August 8, 2017

The Mafia LiesOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara