15-Truth

Marco

"When you heard me that one time on the phone. I was really talking to my brother. He was worried why I have not returned home. He knew I can't risk being exposed as I have worked hard to escape my past. The two of us are the only ones left from our family. He was not aware of my past until that last mission I had. . ." She broke down and cried once more. I hugged her tightly to lend her strength.

"My last mission was a setup. They wanted to kill me when I tried to ask for my freedom. They knew my weakness and they planted him at the location, my oldest brother Simone. I was not aware he was abducted that day and was being pawned in exchange for my death. My group tipped the leader I was trying to kill. He is one of your enemies, Dimitri Deniro. He was the biggest ring leader in Mexico's drug trade that time. I was not aware that he was back in Italy and is now a Mafia boss until I met you. I had to search everything about you and found out you were linked to him. That night when you found me, I was about to kill that maniac who tried to drug me but I felt like it was a bait and will soon be trapped so I walked away."

"Selena? Or what should I call you?"

"Alessandra. My real name's Alessandra Rossi Bellini. You can call me Alex if you want."

"Alessandra. What happened that night?" She was avoiding the real tragedy that happened that night.

"When I was about to pull the trigger to kill Dimitri, he uncovered my brother who was hidden under his blanket. He was gagged and all bruised up but I recognized him all the same. I hesitated out of panic. The next thing I saw was his decapitated head and his neck pooling with blood. Dimitri used a katana sword to cut off my brother's head in front of me. Then his men arrived and attacked me. In a moment of weakness I lost my brother. If I just killed that bastard, my brother would still be alive." She was trembling with rage and fear. If only I could ease some of her pain I would. Dimitri will pay dearly for what he did.

"I could have died with all the blows I received from their beating. They were merciless. I pretended to be dead just so they would leave me. A gunshot wound to the chest would have finished me off if not for the Kevlar vest I wore that night. I never told anyone that I always wear a vest on my mission, it's a specialized vest that when the outer covering was punctured, it will emit a blood like fluid to fool my enemies. I guess it worked because they left me seemingly dead on the side of a road."

I was trying to keep myself sane with everything that she was telling me. I have had a share of violence in my life even before the Mafia. But I was not prepared for what she went through. I pulled her closer to me. Kissing her head to encourage her to keep sharing to me her painful past.

"They did not know that I planted a bomb on the house. It was not part of my mission. But I always do that on every assignment I have. That was to ensure my safety. If I was caught and would die just the same, I want them all to die with me. I set the timer to 60 minutes after I pressed the trigger. It would give them enough time to think that they're already safe. They might have brought me somewhere near the house because I still felt the explosion from the ground I was lying at."

"How did you escape?" I was curious on how she survived.

"I was prepared to die that night knowing that somehow I have avenged my brother's death. But fate has another plan for me. I saw headlights of a car from the opposite direction. I crawled to the middle of the road so they could see me and they did. An elderly couple was lost and found me instead. I always believe until now that they're my guardian angels. They nursed me to health on their mansion. It turned out they were rich and helped me build a new life. For a week or two they said I had retrograde amnesia. When my memories came back, I knew I had to leave them soon. I will never forget their kindness. They treated me like their own granddaughter. When I recovered, they helped me start a new life. I owed them my life Marco and I can't risk their safety. That's why I said my farewell once I was back on track. I told them I am grateful for all of their help but being with me will be dangerous for them. They did not ask any questions, they helped me without anything in return.