Chapter 3

Thank you sassy_sausage for the really nice cover! I'll have your other cover posted at the end of the chapter.

Song: "The Good, The Bad And The Dirty" by Panic! At The Disco

[unedited]

"Are you sure you're okay?" Preston asked for what felt like the billionth time

I glanced at him from the corner of my eye then back at the TV. "Yes, why wouldn't I be?" I asked pretending to be confused.

In full honesty, I wasn't sure. My mind kept wandering back to those eyes. Something about them felt cold and intimidating. I still didn't understand how I didn't see who it was.

After Preston and I got back, we decided to watch TV. I was no longer tired. I had changed into a pair of shorts and a baggy T-shirt and was no sprawled out on the couch with my legs propped on his lap.

I happily ate some of the mint brownies that Preston took from the dessert table. He grabbed at least eight of them.

I was thankful that he actually shared them with me. I would've kept them all to myself...

I was getting a little hungry even though I had just eaten. I got my big appetite from my mom.

We watched for about another hour before Gianna came back, a grin on her face.

"What's up with you? I asked raising an eyebrow.

"Nothing," she murmured, fiddling with her fingers as she continued smiling. Preston continued watching the TV while I got up and dragged Gianna to the kitchen.

"Spill," I demanded, leaning against the counter.

"Alex is my mate," she said, her smile growing as her cheeks flushed.

"What?" My eyes widened slightly. "He's your mate?"

She nodded her head excitedly. "Yeah! It's so amazing! He's so perfect."

I matched her smile with my own. "Wait, who's going to be giving up their position? Both you and Alex are Betas," I asked, frowning slightly.

Her smile slowly faded away. "I did not think of that. I'm an only child so it can only be me..." she trailed off as if an idea came to her mind.

"What are you thinking?" I questioned warily as she stared at me with a slow growing smile back onto her face.

"You."

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. "Me?"

"Yeah. You can be the new Beta. If there is no one for the Beta position, the next eligible person in the Alpha family is fit to be the Beta. In this case it is you because your brother, the first born son, is Alpha. That leaves you because the first born son is the one to take the Alpha position and since you don't have any more brothers you can be the Beta."