Chapter 24

[unedited] I typed part of this up on my phone.

The ground shook and lightning lit up the sky. I looked back at my parents and my mate.

"We need to leave before—" My words were cut off.

"Leaving so soon?" A deep voice asked from behind me. I turned around, expecting to see a demon, instead, I was facing a man. His golden eyes pierced mine, and his strong build and tall form looked intimidating. The flaming orange highlights in his hair was a stark contrast to the natural black color of his hair. I could tell from the powerful aura around him that he was the Demon King.

"We've overstayed our welcome," my mom retorted while glaring at him.

The Demon King didn't acknowledge what she said. Instead, he kept his eyes on me. His lips tilted up into a smirk when he watched Damien slip his arm possessively around my waist.

"Fine then, let's make a deal," he suggested, his eyes lighting up as flames flickered in his irises.

"What kind of deal?" I asked suspiciously, my eyes narrowed. I suddenly regretted asking as he continued staring at me with his dangerous eyes.

"I'll let them go," he said, nodding towards my parents. He then glared at Damien. "Him too. But you will stay."

I scowled at him. "There's no way I'm staying here. I'm leaving with them."

He took a step closer to me, ignoring Damien's warning growl, and crossed his arms. "Sorry, Princess. It doesn't look like you have that much of a choice. If you come with me, no harm will come to you, your mate, or your family. Don't underestimate my power. I'm sure all of you experienced a little bit of it," he said nonchalantly, the smirk not leaving his face.

I glanced at the others and noticed the dark looks on their faces. They experienced their fears too.

Damien turned me to face him. "You can't actually be considering it," he stated, looking at me with disbelief.

I looked away from his eyes. I didn't want anyone to get hurt. My family and my mate had been through so much. I had a plan though, even if it probably wasn't a very good plan.

I stepped away from him and turned to my parents, both of them looking at me with the same disbelief Damien had.

"Liana, please don't do it," my mom pleaded as she stepped up to me, cupping my face with her hands. I pulled her into a hug and felt her cry against my shoulder. She was broken, this was the only way to make sure she's safe. I needed her to go home without the Demon King trying to track her down. When my mom pulled away, dad took her place. He usually wasn't the hugging type, so I was slightly taken aback. It was then I felt something being pressed into the palm of my hand. It was a small container. The potion.

I discretely slipped it into my pocket before he pulled away. He kept his face expressionless, but it eyes told me everything. Be careful.

I gave him a slight nod before finally turning to Damien. He was glaring at the ground with his hands in his pockets. As I stood in front of him, he kept his eyes on the ground. He refused to look at me.