Chapter 3 - Lies Win Them All (Miguel)

The shoes stopped in front of my stall, and I stopped breathing. I held my breath.

 "I know you're in there," came his deep voice.

His voice was like ice in my veins. I felt  tears of terror spring to my eyes, as my hands flew up to my mouth to silencing my breathing.

 His shoes shifted and he knelt down, to see me under the door of the stall.

 His cruel grey eyes locked with mine.

 He smiled, his handsome lips curling upward like a cat, and for a moment, there was a flash of some emotion I had never seen before. I didn't know what it was.

 "You can't run away," he said, looking at me as a tiger would a dying prey.

I continued to stare at him, eyes wide open, terror easily expressed across my face. 

"Open the door, won't you? If you're sick, let me take you to the nurse's office. Your classmates are worried about you," he said with a sickly tone, like honey dripping off a viper's fangs.

My heart was hammering so hard in my chest, I was sure I was going to die.

Then Eron moved to open the stall by force, I found my body moving on it's own accord. My body moved into instinct mode. The martial arts classes had paid off.

 As Eron pushed the door open, my leg reached up and kicked against the door, which hit Eron hard in the face.

 I heard him curse out as I ran past him. 

 He was bent over, clutching his nose, as blood dripped from it. 

His eyes glared at me with murder.

I continued to run. That motherfucker was gonna be the death of me.

I ran to my class and sat down and pretended nothing had happened. It didn't last long. Eron showed up later with a bloody shirt and nose.

Eron reported me to the homeroom teacher and told her that I had attacked him in the bathroom, when all he had tried to do was help.

I was at loss for words.

"Miss, Smith, he's lying. He attacked me first!' I cried. Miss Smith looked at me skeptically.

Here was a new student and on the same day, he turned up with a bloodied face. Who was she to believe? 

 She had no idea who he was, what monster was under that mask. But I couldn't say more to defend myself without exposing my past.

He put on a show, put on this really sad miserable face, and he won. Miss Smith took his side.

So I just looked down at the ground and allowed her to scold me.

 During lunch, my four friends asked what happened. I was scared to tell them what actually happened, scared that that a can of worms would burst open.

 "Nothing, he's just crazy. I've never met this guy before in my life, and he came and attacked me," I mumbled, eating my sandwich.

I was essentially the leader of my group so no one said questioned me, but I could see it in all of their faces they didn't believe me.

I sighed, and looked across the cafeteria. 

Eron had a ridiculous patch over his nose. And almost the same number of people around him as he always had. Unloyal classmates.

The girls were whooning over him and the boys were jockeying to win his approval. Disgusting.

I couldn't hear what he was saying, but from the gestures he was making, I was sure he was telling the story of how I attacked him. It was from self defense! I thought angrily.

My fingers curled around my sandwich. Life just wasn't fair.

 Suddenly Eron turned his head and we locked eyes again.

I quickly looked away but I saw he was smiling, grinning evilly.  A small sweat broke on my back.

I wish I could go back in time and let myself jump off the bridge.