Chapter 22 -Friendships or Relationships? (Miguel)

Bruce, Charlotte and Robert no longer hung out with me. I could understand why.  Charlotte didn't want to see me, Bruce liked Charlotte and Robert was still kinda pissed at me.

So I ate just with Eron.

During lunch, Eron would be chatting away happily to me, but I would zone out. I would watch my old friends from afar and it felt so hollow inside.  

 I would catch Charlotte looking at me and I would turn away. I didn't want to make things worse. Sometimes I would also catch Bruce's eye contact and he was always quick to give me the middle finger. I deserved it. 

  "....or coke?" Eron asked me.

 "Huh?" I asked stupidly.

 "I said, water or coke?" Eron asked, frowning.

 "Water is fine," I said, disheartededly. Eron looked at me sadly.

We finished lunch and walked in the halls together.

 "You've been really down for a while now. What's on your mind?" Eron asked me.

I shook my head. 

I finally was able to walk with Eron in public, and no one bothered us. I even had someone leave me a note in my locker saying "I knew you were gay. Thank you. It gave me the strength to confess and he said yes."

 I guess coming out wasn't as horrible as I thought but somehow I still felt empty.

Eron looked concerned but I wanted to confide in him. 

 "I guess I miss my friends," I said.

Eron nodded his head. "I understand. If you want to spend time with them, go ahead."

  "It isn't going to happen," I mumbled. What was I going to do, just waltz back and be like, hey guys! Don't mind me, I'm just gonna chill with you guys again, even though it's mad awkward and I know you all hate me because I dated someone who used to be as a** to me!

"It's cuz of me, isn't it? Listen, I really don't mind. I want you to be able to spend time with your friends," Eron smiled kindly.

Eron had really changed. He wasn't demanding that things go his way. He was actually putting my needs first. That really touched me.

"Thank you for understanding," I said, as I hugged him. "But I'll figure it out on my own."

Eron hugged me back tightly and said nothing. He let me go and we continued to walk, him holding my hand gently.