Chapter 33 - Arranged dinners (Eron)

My mom had asked me to come straight home after school, so I texted Miguel I wasn't going to go home with him that day.

When I arrived home, I saw my grandparents' car in the driveway.

I parked my masi. I walked up the driveway and into the house.

 In the living room, my mom was busy fixing up her boyfriend's tie. My mother had had me quite young, so she looked almost like an older sister. Her long flowing hair had pretty waves it in that she got from Grandma.

 Her boyfriend, Matt, was a nice looking guy, with decent features. He was humble and kind, with mousy brown hair and green-ish blue eyes.

 My grandparents were sitting on the couch, waiting for me. My grandfather was a tall, imposing Chinese man, with black hair with streaks of grey in it. He was the legacy of the Tsui family. My grandmother was a British lady who had been a beauty in her days. She always kept her hair coiffed. They had also had an arranged marriage but where my parents had no love, theirs was the envy of all.

 Everyone was dressed up. 

 "What's the occasion?" I asked stupidly.

 "Go get changed. We will explain on the way there," my mom instructed.

 I sighed. I hated when she got like that, especially when my grandparents were here. 

I ran upstairs and got dressed in a suit. I checked my appearance and ran downstairs.

 "You go in the car with grandma and grandpa, okay?" My mom said.

 "Can't I go in my own car?" I whined.

 "Eron, just do it," my mom sounded rushed. "We are gonna be late."

My mom's boyfriend, Matt, looked at me with sympathy. 

"Come on, don't give your mom a hard time." he said. I liked Matt. He treated my mom well.

I nodded my head. 

I followed after my grandparents into the car. I slumped in the back.

As we drove, my grandma got right into it. "We are meeting with the Chu family. They own several yacht factories around Hong Kong. They expressed interest in their daughter meeting you."

 I groaned. "Grandma, please don't do this...You saw how these things had turned out for mom, why do you gotta do it to me?"

 "Eron, don't talk back to your grandma like that. What happened to your mom, no need to mention it. We had considered re-marrying your mom to another family as you know how the family company has really suffered since the divorce. Your father has made it his mission to keep other families from doing business with us. But we don't have the heart to ask your mother to remarry after what's happened. She deserves to be happy. Let her be happy with Matt. But you, you need to be the man of the house once I'm gone. If you marry the Chu's daughter, we can get some more protection against your father's political take-over," my grandfather said.

I knew he was just doing this to protect my mother and I, but I couldn't imagine being married off like cattle. Especially when I already had a boyfriend.

But if I didn't accept this, I knew eventually my grandparents would ask my mom to leave Matt and re-marry. My mom was a good daughter and I knew she would do it if they asked. I couldn't let that happen. 

My mom, more than me, deserved to be happy. 

 We arrived at the restaurant, and the valet took the car. My grandparents rushed me up the stairs and we arrived to the private room where the dinner guests were waiting. My grandma quickly smoothed out my hair.

My Hater, My Lover (Book One)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara