Chapter 8 - No need to elaborate (Miguel)

Robert and I collapsed onto the subway chairs. It was late and one of the last trains, so we were alone in that particular train segment.

I was gasping for air.

"Alright, spill it. Who the eff is he to you?" Robert demanded, one hand on his stomach. He winced. "He hits hard..." he muttered to himself.

"I can't tell you," I finally said wearily.

 "Bullsh*t!" Robert yelled at me. Robert had never acted this way before. Robert was always the strong silent type. He leaned into me, his body demanding answers.

I stared at Robert and he knew he was scaring me but he wanted answers.

"I finally found peace, I don't want to re-live what happened to me before," I said, pleadingly.  

Robert's face dropped, all the harshness left. He looked at me with sad eyes.

 "He used to hurt you, before, didn't he?" He said quietly.

I felt ashamed but I also felt relief I didn't need to speak it out for Robert.

I stared beyond Robert and all the horrible moments flashed in my mind's eyes like a stack of cards being shuffled. 

"...Yeah," I finally answered.

Robert fell back into his chair. He sighed.

 "I'm glad than you punched him in the nose then. I would have done more than that," Robert said, looking up at the ceiling of the train.

 I laughed. I pictured Robert going berserk.

Robert smiled. 

"You know...I see bits of him in you. Is that weird?" Robert said, looking at me sideways.

 My breath got caught in my throat. I hadn't really noticed I mimicked Eron until it had become habit. I never imagined that people around me would ever come to know the original source material.

 "No, it isn't. Even though he bullied me, I was in awe of his power. I guess, I thought if I could be like him, no one would ever hurt me again." I mumbled.

 "Don't be like him. He's clearly disturbed. It isn't power if you use it to hurt others. Be like yourself. Be that what Charlotte, Bruce and I like in you. You're really good to others and that's one of a kind," Robert said, smiling.

 I stared at Robert. How could someone so young be so wise?