Chapter 5 - The Stag's Loyalty (Miguel)

[Author's Note. I modeled and named the character Robert after Robert Baratheon from Game of Thrones. His house sign was a stag so that's why this chapter is called the Stag's Loyalty.]

Robert and I walked from the school to the mixed martial arts classroom, just several blocks away from the school. 

 Winter was coming and the night was falling faster than ever. 

 We reached the entrance to the studio, when I caught in the mirror of the studio, someone following us. 

 Robert caught the look in my face before I was able to stop it.

 "Hey! Miguel! And Robert, was it? Wow, I didn't know you guys also came here too," Eron grinned, as he caught up to us, his gym bag hanging over his shoulder. 

 Robert looked unimpressed. Robert's best quality was his loyalty. And he was quick to know how I felt. 

"Listen a**wipe, stop stalking Miguel," he said, with distaste obvious in his tone. 

Eron looked taken aback for a moment. He wasn't used to people not drooling over him. My heart felt overcome with joy. I had never appreciated Robert's friendship as much as I had in that moment. 

" I don't know what you're talking about..." Eron said slowly, pretending to look confused but I already knew that clever brain of his was already scheming and I was scared that he was gonna make a target out of Robert too. 

 I couldn't allow that, not now, not after all the good memories I shared with Robert. 

 "Maybe he comes here on days we don't come and that's how we missed him," I quickly said, defending Eron, something I never thought I'd do, but I had to throw myself between Robert and Eron's wrath.

Robert looked at me in shock, but he understood what I was doing. Both Robert and I knew this guy was full of sh*t but Robert could take a hint. 

 "Yah, sure, that's probably it," Robert said, as he pushed the door and went into the studio first. He didn't look back but I could tell he was in a bad mood now.

 I felt terrible too. Robert had taken my side and I had undermined him. 

 Eron continued to smile pleasantly, until Robert was out of sight. I moved to follow after Robert into the studio.

 "I started the rumor, if you're wondering. Maybe it's true, seeing how your friend here stuck up for you," Eron suddenly said, his voice dropping low so only I could hear and for the first time, I heard a tone I had never heard before. 

It sounded rusty, pained, angry almost...jealous? 

 I turned to face Eron, to glare but this was the first time we were this close. He was taller than me, so I craned my neck up to look at him, and up close, I was struck by how flawless Eron's skin was, and I remembered of my own skin, which still had some scars from before. Life wasn't fair and I hated to be reminded. 

 His lashes were thick, and his lips plump but without being too full. His nose was a strong bridge, even with the fading purple bruise. 

 Eron's grey eyes looked down at me, and I saw a strange look. He was looking at me with a strong intensity, with hunger, with desperation. I suddenly recognized it. It was lust.

 "I've never felt jealously until that bastard opened his mouth to defend you," he said quietly. 

 He pushed past me, elbowing me hard as he walked past me into the studio.

 I stood in the cold of the night, wondering what the hell I had just heard.