Chapter 20

Nina's POV

"Stop it Adam!" I says a bit loudly.

His head rests on my shoulder.

"Will you marry me?"

"......!"

The sudden, unexpected question hits my ear so suddenly.

"W-what did you say?" I frown and hold a glass filled with water.

"I want the answer." Adam says. His eyes are red.

"You're drunk!" I say and pour the water on him.

He remains silent as water rolls down.

"I'm not drunk." He says.

My lips shiver as I turn into a statue.

"Aren't you going to give me a positive answer?" He pulls me holding my wrist towards him.

I snap out.

"Wha-what are you doing?" I ask as I try to push him away. But his grip is too tight.

"Do you need time to answer? I can give you some time but I want a positive answer. You hear? A positive answer.." He says and lets go of me.

He drinks another glass and stands.

"I think we need to go.." He looks at me but I can't get over the surprise.

He leaves and I follow him.

_______

As we enter my aunt's mansion, we meet some new faces.

I stop at the doorcase.

Adam collides with me as I stop suddenly.

"Who are they?" I ask to myself as I knit my eyebrows.

There are two middle aged women and a young lady in very elegant dresses. They look like they have come from any noble family.

Another man in butler's dress is standing behind the sofa they are sitting. He has a poker face.

As soon as he notice us, he whispers something to an elder woman and they all look at our direction.

They all smile sweetly as soon as they spot me.

I open my eyes widely as I'm confused. I look at Adam who is also confused.

They stand up and walk towards me.

"My ... My...here you go."one of the middle aged woman says cupping my cheeks.

"Excuse me..." I say.

"You're more beautiful in person. " The woman says and others nod smiling.

"They will look good together." The young lady says.

"What? What're you saying." I say.

"Ah! Soon you're going to be my daughter in law." The woman says gathering her hands before her chest happily.

"What??" I exclaim and look at Adam.

He frowns.

"Excuse me. But you're mistaking." He says.

"No.. No... I'm not mistaking." She says a witty smile on her lips.

"Come on, Nina... " Adam pulls me towards the stair but the butler-like man stand like a mountain before him.

"Who the hell are you?" Adam asks.

His ears turn red.. He's really angry. I grip arm so that he can control his anger.