Chapter One Bambino Demone

Counting Stars- OneRepublic

THIS IS THE THIRD BOOK AFTER THE FIRE IN ME AND THIS MEANS WAR.

I hum along to the song that plays as I nod my head to the beat, staring at the stove in front of me. I was frying eggs and bacon, and since this is basically the second time I've cooked, ever, I have to watch it carefully. I don't want another building to burn down because of my awful cooking skills. The attention is bad for me and I don't want to have to deal with the police anymore than I have to. Most of them are corrupt anyway, some times they don't even care about who I am.

Sometimes they just want to make a deal. For money. The good cops, they want to rid the streets of bad people. The actually want to protect the people. The good cops are rare, they are because they actually care about what they're doing and how they do it. I respect that, so I avoid them as best I can. Let's just leave it at this. Bad cops and good cops are both a struggle to deal with. There were so many cops at the last place. I shake my head. It was a nightmare. Of course, all the people getting out safely mattered too.

People matter. As long as they aren't lazy bums who don't give a shit about anything. As long as they aren't terrible people. Hell, I'm a terrible person. I shouldn't matter, but I'm the leader of the Italian Mafia. I matter because I have to. I fight because I have to. I kill because I have to. Although, killing isn't something I absolutely adore. Sometimes people just make too many mistakes, and they've wasted too many chances. Sometimes, people just don't deserve to live. We live in a world where it's kill or be killed and I'd rather kill.

I scoop up the eggs and put them on a plate before walking over to the table and setting it down. I finish cooking the bacon and I put it in a separate plate setting it down on the table also before I just stand there, placing my hands on the back of the chair and leaning forward. "Nadia, come eat!" I call staring down at the table. I sniff. Do the eggs smell good? Why was it so hard for me to figure out? I sniff again. They smell good enough to me. It's fine. We'll survive. I hope.

I hesitate when I don't hear running footsteps and I lean back turning my head to look over my shoulder. "Nadia!" I call with a bored expression. "Come eat!" I still hear nothing which makes me sigh. "It's safe! The building is fine. I watched the food like a hawk. Come on. Bacon and eggs." I listen as I hear a slight shuffle of feet but then it goes silent. Yeah. I wouldn't believe me either. "Nadia." I groan pushing off the chair and heading through the hallway to her room. "You're killing me here."

I push the cracked door to her room open wider and step inside. The room was empty and a mess. Like she left in a rush. Oh you've got to be kidding me. She's hiding from me. I look to her closet. She's a smart girl, but she hides in the same spot every single time. You'd think she'd learn. I walk toward her closest but I stop myself and spin away. If she wants to have fun. Let's have fun. "Slowly she turned." I say in a slow, low voice as I begin turning around. "Step by step." I say placing my hand on the knob. "Inch by inch."

I open the doors as she lets out a scream and then giggles when I lunge for her picking her up and spinning around. "Now, what have I told you about listening to me when I call you?" I ask.

"To listen to you." She says in her childish, innocent voice. I couldn't ever be mad at her even if I tried.

"So, why didn't you listen to me?" She puts out her bottom lip and looks down.

"Because I didn't want to." She pouts and I gasp making her quickly look up. I set her down and step away.

"Y- you're a monster." I say in a fake scared voice as I take another step back and a smile spreads across her face.