Chapter Fifty-Six What The Actual Fuck

Waves- Dean Lewis

     I sit in the chair by my mothers bed. My biological mother. I haven't seen her since I was five, and the sad thing is I'd forgotten what she looked like. I'd forgot she was a real person, for so long I remembered it as a nightmare not reality and now here she it laying in the hospital bed with her eyes closed. I was scared for when she opened them. What would I say? What would I do? What would she say to me? Would she remember me? Would she know who I was or would she think I was some nurse?

I study her. Her skin was old and wrinkled and her hair was short and white. She has a small nose and thin lips with wrinkles on each end. She has dark circles under her eyes like she hadn't been sleeping well and her forehead had many wrinkles as if she worried a lot. Or narrowed her eyes a lot. I tried distracting myself on the way she looked, trying to remember her as the person she used to be. The mother she used to be, but I couldn't. I kept remembering where we were. Who we were.

There's no point in me being here. I don't know why I came. I don't know why I care. Why did I come here? Because Braxton and Felix told me to? No. Hell no. When people tell me to do things it just makes me not want to do it even if I wanted to do it in the first place. It's really annoying. I usually wait till they're not looking or till they've left before I do the thing because I don't want them watching. I don't want them to know they've won. And yet they've won again.

I start to look away as my mother moves and her eyes flutter open. Oh no. Here we go. I hear the door open, but I pay no attention to it because before I had time to do anything her eyes met mine. "Who are you? Where am I? How did I get here?" I open my mouth to speak, but for some reason nothing comes out and I look down away from here.

"We're friends." Braxton says behind me. "You're on the hospital. She had a small accident while you were cooking and you arrived here in an ambulance."

"Am I Alright?"

"You're going to be just fine."

"That's good. That's good. When can I go home? I need to go home."

"You can get out of here soon. We're just waiting on the doctor to come back. Alright?" He asks and she nods. Braxton walks over and hands her the remote. "This is for the tv. You can put in anything you want to watch." She nods and starts flipping through the channels as Braxton turns to me.

"What are you doing here?"

"Well I came to check on her, you knew this." I sigh and look away. I did know. I just forgot. "And I had a feeling you would come to see her. You're lucky too. She's having a lucid moment. She might remember who you are." I shake my head.

"No. I should go. Coming here was a mistake." I mutter quietly as I stand and head for the door.

"Blake." Braxton sighs but I ignore him and open the door to leave.

"Blake?" My mother asks softly making me freeze. Then I slowly turn and face her, letting my eyes lock with hers. "I had a daughter named Blake. I lost her when she was young." She looks down for a few seconds but looks back up to me again. "Are you her? Are you my Blake?" For some reason, I didn't want to respond. This all seemed wrong, it seemed too soon. I was ready for this and I shouldn't have come here. What was I expecting anyway? A family reunion? Yeah, no thank you. I'm good being alone.

It's just, I don't have to be anymore. I have Felix and Braxton. Nadia and my friends. My people. I'm not alone anymore but right here, right now, I felt strange. I felt weak and I felt alone. "Yes, I think so." I say slowly. "I wouldn't really know because the mother I had left me on the park when I was five years old. The mother I had drove away while she watched me chase after her in the rear view mirror like I was nothing. The mother I had ditched me and she never came back for me. She never tried looking for me. The mother I had never did anything for me except leave me behind." I say firmly and plainly.