Chapter Sixteen

"We've got an extra saddle back at the camp," said Arthur. They had gotten what they had come for, a new horse for (Y/n). By the time they set back on the road, it was close to noon.

(Y/n) wished the trip out of the camp was a little longer. "Are we really just heading back?" She asked.

Arthur slowed down his horse to a trot. "Well, what did you want to do?" He asked genuinely curious on what she had in mind.

Her face felt like it was burning. (Y/n) did not mean to sound rude or bored. She just thought they would have done more errands- not head back to sit in a tent. She said, "I don't know...sorry, I just wanted to look around. You know, at the scenery? I mean, this place is very beautiful." (Y/n) shifted her eyes to look everywhere except Arthur. She feared what he would respond with.

She wondered if he would ignore her suggestion. (Y/n) did feel like a burden, an unwanted shadow, following Arthur around. Technically, he could carry out his day without her ideas impacting it what-so-ever.

He studied her for the moment. Arthur could sense her nervousness. He wished she would not be as timid as she was to ask him for anything. Did she still not trust him? After all that they have been through? Definitely, (Y/n) was not so anxious a week ago. Maybe, because of the gang and knowing his background a little more, she is wary of him now? Arthur hoped this was not the start of her drifting away.

All the women in his life had left him before. Secretly, Arthur just wanted to spend his days with a significant other, one that accepted him. However, he loved the Van der Linde Gang too much to leave in search for another. He was loyal and honest; that was just the man he was.

"We're going back to camp first," Arthur simply stated. His tone did not seem hurt or angry, yet (Y/n) had felt she had done something wrong.

She slightly hung her head, "oh, okay." (Y/n) worried too much. She trusted Arthur but something tugged in the back of her mind. Something- or someone- just did not feel right. Perhaps it was someone in the camp? Maybe that was the reason she did not like to stay within its grounds.

Once they had reached the camp, Arthur hitched his horse and lead (Y/n)'s horse to the post. "I'll go and saddle up your horse. For now, you can take care of whatever you need to around here," he said.

(Y/n) nodded in agreement and walked to sit at the table. She decided to rest her head until someone placed a hand on her shoulder. (Y/n) spun her head to the culprit, which turned out to be a woman with blue eyes and with her dark hair tied in a bun. "Hi there, (Y/n). I fixed up a tent for you, so you don't have to stay in the make-shift infirmary," said the woman.

The woman continued, "I don't believe I've introduced myself, I'm Abigail." She gave a warm smile and told (Y/n) to follow her.

(Y/n) did not feel threatened by Abigail, she was sure of that. So far, the people she had met felt like genuine, kind people. "Thank you, Abigail," she said.

Abigail waved a hand, "oh, it's nothin'. I hope I made it comfortable enough here. We don't have a whole lot of extra pelts and blankets to lay down, but I tried my best." She was very nice and caring it seemed, that much was noted.

As she began to inspect the tent, (Y/n) thanked Abigail once more, "don't worry about it! I like it very much, thank you." It was pretty decent and was good enough to rest in, and for that, she was grateful.

"Well, glad you like it. If ya need anythin' come and see me," Abigail said before walking off. Most of the gang was out and about somewhere else. Abigail and the girls were heading out to wash clothes by the water and most of the men were gone doing whatever they had to do.