Chapter No. 8

Noah

I was in my cabin, working on a client's file when Emma's voice reached my ears. "Brown! In my office. Now." she ordered without sparing me a look and I prepared myself for my impending doom.

Swallowing hard, I stood up and followed her to the office. I tried my best not to stare at her shaped ass while she walked because the last time she caught me doing that, she made me find a file from the heap of millions of files in the storage room that never even existed

"I read your analysis," she informed and seated herself on her chair. Her scrutinising gaze assessed me as she crossed her legs and rested her back againt the chair.

"And?" I was all set for the berating because if the first week at this company taught me anything, it's never expect applaud from Emma Bennett.

"It was good." she commented as the corner of her lips lifted a little.

"I am sorry Emma, I did my best but-" I stopped when I realised that she was actyally commending my work. "Wait, did you just say you liked the analysis?" I let out a surprised gasp.

"I didn't dislike it." she corrected but I couldn't care less.

A huge smile broke on my face and I prevented myself from hugging her in excitement because knowing her, she won't like it probably.

"I knew it, I'm the best associate ever. I am the Gordon Ramsay of associates." I muttered to myself.

"Well, James' work was moderately better than you." she intervened in an attempt of splashing water over my happiness.

"Does it matter? I'm hotter." I grinned, a little too wide for a professional employee, which I wasn't so it doesn't matter.

A hint of smile appeared on her pink lips which she tried her best to hide with a smug smirk. "You're a narcissist. Do you know that?" she stated.

"No, I'm not. I just appreciate beauty." I shrugged. "Speaking of beauty, are you free this weekend?" I asked and she sighed in frustration.

Shaking her head in fake disappointment, or maybe a real one, she commanded, "Go."

"I have two movie tickets." I added in order to pique her interest.

"Bye, Brown." she ignored me completely and shifted her focus to her laptop screen.

"We can watch your favourite chick flick. Notebook? The fault in our stars?" I proposed the idea which her deepening frown told me that she didn't appreciate much.

"My favorite movie is Fast and Furious," she corrected me. "And please." she pointed towards the door. I pouted, which didn't have any effect on her and when I realised that my charms won't work on her, not yet, I sighed defeatedly and finally made my way back to my cabin.

James observed my face for any sign of humiliation when I returned because that's what usually happens; I go to Emma's office, she deflate my confidence and I return with a sour face.

"Don't bother, she loved my work this time." I winked at him.

"Yeah, right." he rolled his eyes and continued working, as if he didn't believe me.

"Don't get jealous, mate. So what if she likes me more than you, you'll find your match too." I consoled his grieving heart and attempted to pat his shoulder but my hand didn't reach him through the boundary between our cabins.

"I'm married." he informed me with an uninterested look on his face.

To say I was shocked would be an understatement; I was benumbed. "What? Why didn't you tell me before? I'm your best friend, James." I demanded in an offended tone.