Chapter No. 10

Noah

"You seem awfully quiet today," James asked me during the lunch break.

"I'm not feeling well, man." I answered wearily and sauntered towards the small balcony behind the lounge. Not many people go there because of the cold so it was an excellent place for someone seeking solitude from the horde of workers on our floor.

As I sat down on the desk there, the thoughts of Alicia and Adam came rushing to my mind. I was happy for her, I really was; but for some reason, it felt like she was my first and last chance at love which is funny because she never felt the same about me. I tried falling in love again, I wanted to experience that rush of emotions whenever I was with her but I couldn't. So a part of me was afraid that I might never find love again.

Pulling my phone out of the pocket, I opened the contacts list and my eyes lingered on the first two names; Adam and Alicia. Even their names belonged together.

Despite my mind stopping me, I pressed the Call button and waited for her to answer.

Once she answered the call, I brought the mobile to my ears and heard what was being said on the other side, "Hello."

"Hi." I replied, loosening my tie that was suffocating me. "How are you, Pooper?"

"So you finally decided to give me a call, Noah Brown?" Her exasperated tone reached my ears and I could imagine her suppressing her prankish smile.

"I was occupied with some things Ali." I replied.

"Oh really, Mr. Hotshot?" she huffed angrily. "Thanks for sparing some time for an old friend."

I grinned wide at her fake anger because that's the thing about Alicia--- she couldn't stay angry at someone for too long. "Is Adam there? How is he?" I changed the topic.

"He is fine. In fact, he is really happy because he got a job at Princeton." she informed me.

"That's great." I voiced enthusiastically. I was really happy for him because he had worked his guts out in order to secure his career and nobody I knew deserved it more than him, especially after what Dad did to him. "How is Adaline?" I inquired.

"She is in a rehabilitation centre for now but Adam is planning on appointing a full time nurse for her at home once we move to New Jersey for his job. I have applied for a few hospitals there too" she said all in one breath.

Adaline was my half-sister who was quadriplegic because of a spinal injury that she suffered when she was a child.

"That's great. I got a temporary job too, here in New York." I informed her though Sophia had probably told her by now.

"Wow, that's great. Where are you staying?" she asked and that caught me off-guard.

"Didn't Sophia tell you?" My brows dipped in confusion.

"Tell me what? I haven't talked to her for over a month." she apprised me and I scratched my chin.

"Well, I'm sharing her apartment for a few months." I let her know.

She silenced for a few moments after which I heard an exaggerated sigh. "Wow. I'm surprised she hadn't killed you yet." It was followed by a small chuckle.

"She might, soon." I shrugged in response even though she couldn't see me.

"Adam and I will be visiting my Dad and Tiffany next month. I'll plan our meet-up." she said.

"Sure." I said excitedly. The last time I saw her, it was on her Dad's birthday two years ago and I happened to be in the city at that time.

We talked for some time after which she excused herself, saying she had somewhere to go. Cutting the call, I rested my back against the wall and closed my eyes for a moment, reminiscing about my the senior year of high-school when I met Alicia and then found out about my Dad's two abandoned children.