Chapter No. 21

Noah

Today was the day I have been dreading for a week; the day my father and half-brother would come face to face after years. I didn't even know what to expect, knowing they both never did the expected thing.

"No fancy breakfast this Sunday?" I heard Sophia's voice calling from the kitchen.

"Breakfast are for happy Sundays. This is a stressful Sunday." I replied in a dejected voice.

Moments later, she ambled towards me with two bowl of cereals in her hands. "Suit yourself," she said, giving one to me and then plopped beside me.

I took a bite while imagining what Dad would say or how Adam would react. I know my Dad was remorseful of his actions of the past but Adam was not someone who would give in easily.

I turned to look at Sophia who was busy munching the cereal. "Come with me. I can't handle this situation alone." I said in a panicked voice.

"Then take your girlfriend," she rolled her eyes and I heard what resembled jealousy in her voice.

"First, she isn't my girlfriend because we have been on only two coffee dates yet. Second, I don't want her to meet my dysfunctional family yet." I told her and she shrugged.

"Well, thanks for the offer but I am already going."

"Why? Were you invited?" I asked in surprise because I don't remember asking my mom to invite her.

"Believe it or not Brown, I have my resources." she smirked and when my confusion didn't alleviate, she added, "Your mom and I used to go to the same gym last year so we are on good terms."

I chuckled at this when I imagined my mom and Sophia gossiping. My mom never liked a girl I brought home so if she liked Sophia, this girl must have some special social skills.

..........

Despite my nerves telling me to ditch the party, I dragged myself to the bathroom and after taking a bath, changed into an outfit that consisted of a dark blue shirt and black pants.

I was busy wearing the shoes when the door to my room opened and I heard the sound of heels clicking towards me.

"Can you take me with you? My car isn't working." she said.

"Sure," I said and then raised my head to look at her. When I did, my mouth parted in surprise and the next few words automatically left my mouth. "Wow, you look... Wow."

She was wearing a fitted dress in the lightest shade of blue. Her dark hair was resting on her shoulders in soft curls and her face was glowing in the dim lighting of the living room.

"What can I say? I clean up nice." she chuckled but I was too spellbound to find the humor in this. She looked stunning in the outfit and it accentuated her hourglass figure in the most attractive manner possible. This girl definitely knew what looked good on her.

Realising that I was being creepy, I tore my eyes away from her and looked at the floor instead. "Sure, let's go." I managed to say.

As she walked in front of me, I tried my best not to look at her butt, which proved to be a really difficult task. Years of yoga definitely did good for her body.

"Stop looking at my ass, Perv." she scoffed and that's when I finally stopped looking.

..........

The drive to my parents' home went peacefully and I didn't feel stressed in Sophia's presence. She kept me entertained with her not so original insults, earning lame jokes from me as well.