Chapter XXIX

There is a commotion and people move to the screens. And after bringing me back to Samuel, Gloss and I move to look at the screen and there is Rue, the small girl from 11, caught in a net, while yelling for Katniss, who yells right back, probably hoping to be the more valuable target. But she is too late. Marvel, Gloss' boy, throws the spear before Katniss' arrow hits him.

She is good. Her aim is practically perfect. Probably the reason she got a freaking 11 during the private sessions.

It was hard watching Katniss singing goodbye to Rue and crying herself because she has been such a strong girl until now.

But then the screen cuts out and shows Foxface, the occasional, barely to be seen Peeta, Thresh who is doing good for himself, but the Careers are organizing themselves, which is probably why Marvel was alone.

But then, when a six-storey upside-down cake is served, they show how Rue is picked up. She is surrounded by flowers, like bedded on for a funeral. My fists clench and I feel the gaze of all the present victors on me.

But next to the memory of Tristan bleeding out on the snow, there is the feeling of pride. Katniss rebelled against the Games, just like me. And she will have to carry the consequences if she makes it. But first, there are Cato and Clove, also called the deadly duo, who she has to beat, and Thresh. So there is still strong competition, but she has a long-range weapon, if she is clever and lets Peeta be, she would stand a chance.

We stay at the party until 2 am and I am tired and bored since about midnight. Sometimes I can steal time with Finnick and Gloss, even though Finnick doesn't talk much and it is quite tense every time. After Samuel dragged me with him to meet a potential business partner and very boring talking, with him firmly holding me by his side, probably to use my victor status as a bonus for himself, he takes me outside and we drive to his apartment, of course in a limousine.

He made his first advances there, but I could block most of it, so his hands didn't wander underneath my dress. But I had to accept his kisses that weren't only on my neck and face this time, he had a weird obsession with the thigh that was revealed by the slit of my dress and he used his teeth. And I am now in his elevator, not looking forward to his interests once we arrive in his bedroom or couch or carpet, but I am never looking forward to it, so it doesn't even matter. But the second we enter his apartment he throws me onto the ground and climbs over me and I know that this time, it will be worse.

~~~*~~~

Around 4 am I leave the building and I have bruises on my neck, stomach, back and arms as well as freaking bite marks on my legs. I will have to ask Penelope for healing and desinfectionary cream for that. This time I take the car back instead of walking, because it would take too long and because everything hurts. My head is pounding after he hit it on the floor three times and as the car pulls to a halt blackness creeps into my vision, but disappears after I support myself on a street lamp.

I straighten out my dress and with raised head march into the building. From the mentor's lounge one can oversee the elevators and the entrance hall. Even though I doubt that anybody would be up around this time. Except of course Enobaria, Finnick, Gloss and I. But I see a few figures moving and I don't press button number nine, but number four. It was like an instinct and I can't be alone with my thoughts tonight, I know that. The elevator rides up and I step onto Finnicks and Mags floor, moving towards Finnicks room. But my head is spinning and the black is creeping back into my vision, and just as I reach the door the world tilts and I crash to the floor. The last thing I hear is Finnick's voice calling out my name.

I wake up in a bed and immediately start thrashing around, but a familiar female stands by my side and holds my hand.

"Penelope?", I croak out and she nods, raising up a note.