Five

A few days later, my stomach and back are littered with burns and my head is pounding from the lack of sleep. My period is over after three days and I get a new robe.

This time I get led out together with Peeta and we arrive in the studio-like room again. And the chatter isn't as fun this time.

People talk about a planned bombing, talk about uprisings and District 8. And about District 13.

Which I didn't know existed. Why they ask me about the location of the rebels still seems even more stupid than before.

But I get pressed into a red jumpsuit and Peeta a white suit. They try their best to hide the bruising in my face, the dark circles under my eyes, the sunken in cheeks.

We get briefed about what to say. The attacks on the Districts by rebels. The damage of infrastructure. We will get a text on a screen and have to read of it.

They drive us to Snow's mansion and usher us through the halls.

And it is Snow that greets the nation, sitting on a red armchair.

Caesar is waiting for us on the golden couch and we walk on screen, our arms linked after Snow finished his speech.

"Another Good Evening to you two", he greets us as we sit down.

"Good Evening", I smile and Peeta repeats my words.

"Talisa. It has been some time and in that time we acquired new knowledge."

"Is that so?"

"About Finnick Odair. Your fiance."

I stay silent.

"He is part of the rebels and supports Katniss Everdeen as the so-called face of the revolution."
"So what?", I ask and look at the screen on which my next words are written.

"Well, obviously he must have known about the plan to get the victors out of the arena, yet he left you behind."
I narrow my eyes.

"He didn't. We did what we had to do. What is needed in the arena."
"So you are not angry at him? Disappointed? I mean, I would feel betrayed."

I scoff.

"I did feel betrayed. Just not by Finnick. I felt betrayed by the Capitol for being sent back into an arena."
A gun is slowly raised off-screen, pointed towards Peeta and I gulp.

"Finnick...he and the other rebels have decided not to include me in their plan. I believe they have their reason, even though I don't understand it. I also don't understand the...the devious acts against the Capitol. They...", I stop and take a breath, "they do what they believe is right, but are...mistaken."
"Yes. Please, tell us about the attacks."

"The attacks are brutal and the damage done...everyone needs to ask themselves, is it worth it? I mean..."

But Peeta stops me from stating my opinion and continues his talk. Even his voice changed and I look at him concerned while trying to sign to the camera. But the boy is seated in front of me and it seems way too obvious. And half the time they show pictures of the Districts anyways.

Then it is Katniss on screen. And I know who did that. Beetee.

Peeta tenses up and mutters Katniss' name.

She is singing and standing in some rubble. I am pretty sure that there is a skull next to her foot.

The room flies into action, technicians on the monitors are rushing through the room and then we are back. Peeta tries to continue reading the text, then there is Finnick, talking about Rue.

All tension leaves my body as I stare at the screen as Finnick is standing there, looking right at me and signing.

I love you

I feel my eyes water. What I would give to be with him now.

We are back live, just for a moment, long enough for me to scoot forwards and sign it back, then a digital war breaks loose.

Frantic shouts are exchanged and Snow's eyes turn even icier.

"You should have expected that I mean me on TV. Again?", I chuckle and he moves his gaze to me.

The next thing that the nation sees live is me and the president having a staring contest.

"Miss Moreno, would you answer my question please?", Caesar asks.

"No."
Then we are off again, and Katniss is on. Then after 7 more minutes, finally we are back on and Caesar turns to Peeta and asks him about Katniss.

His body is rigid and I can feel in my gut what he is planning on doing. So I take his hand and squeeze it, reassuring him that I was with him.

"Katniss...how do you think this will end? What will be left? No one is safe. Not in the Capitol. Not in the Districts. And you....in Thirteen. Dead by morning", he breathes out and before Snow yells out to cut the feed I yell out that they send bombers.

I jump up from my position as multiple guards hit Peeta, him crying out in pain as his blood covers the tiles in front of me. I fight of course. Knock over one of the cameras in the process. But I see the stun gun too late. It is jabbed into my back twice. I cry out and fall to the floor, convulsing as I lose the power over my muscles, whimpering in pain.

In Thirteen

Katniss and Finnick who have been holding hands, cutting off each other's blood circulation stare at the screen on which just a few seconds ago, the red-headed girl lay on the ground, next to Peeta's blood. It is as if they can't comprehend the pictures they have just seen.

But Haymitch can. He just saw one of his best friends and the boy that he cared about more than most get punished for warning them. And nobody was doing something productive.

"Shut up! Everybody! Shut up! What is the discussion here?! They just risked their lives, warning us from an attack."

More questions get thrown into the room, questioning their credibility. Finnick loses it.

"Are you people this dumb or do you just act like it?! My fiance, who has nothing but supported the cause, even though she knew nothing about it, who is getting tortured right now, told us that they were sending bombers! Now do something about it!"

The room is silent for a moment.

Then Coin calls for a Level Five security drill and they get led downstairs.