CHAPTER TWO : INTERVIEW

I could feel my heart beat faster. The blood pumped with such a force it was unreal.

The interviewer entered; but that wasn't what made feel this way, but the fact that I saw the fat, short man with whom I got into fight in the streets an hour before. He was walking behind the interviewer.

I had millions of question going inside my head to which I couldn't get answer to half of them.

Wait! What if the interviewer was the person who was sitting inside the car? Damn! it shouldn't be like that.

Keeping all my thoughts aside, I quickly lowered by head so that I wouldn't be recognised, but that darned man saw me. He look confused as though wondering what I would be doing here. For a split second I was happy that maybe, just maybe he had amnesia and didn't remember who I was, but all my hopes came crashing down when his eyes widened in recognition. Damn it.

He kept staring at me while he went in, not having a happy expression on that wrinkled face of his. This was not good. Not good at all.

A middle aged woman came and announces that the interview would start shortly. This did not make me feel any better. I could not afford to lose this job. I need it, I'm too young to get married! God could only help me get through this.

So,I did what I did best at these situations. I started reading all the prayers worth 24 years of my life. I rocked back and forth, desperation evident in my eyes. I promised God all kinds of things, I would do anything at this point just please let me get this job.

Approximately after ten minutes,the man came out with a file. He stared at me once again and at this point I would trade my sister to know what was going on his head and whether he spilled the beans or not. Yes I'm that desperate.

My thoughts was cut short by a middle-aged woman calling out the first candidates name.
The first candidate Mr.Awan went inside, he looked perfect for the job. His hair was neatly swept back, his attire was on point. Moreover he looked confident enough. I was sure that he would get selected. And so just like that my confidence dropped like my uncle's sugar level..

After approximately 10 minutes or so,

He came out with not a very happy look, distress covering his face which clearly implied that he didn't get the job. His walk wasn't upright anymore as he threw his tag into bin with such an anger I knew a couple of plates were bound to be broken. Hold on a second! He himself didn't get a job. He looked so apt for it.

Other names started being called out and not one person's face looked satisfied. The men looked very grumpy and a woman burst into tears as she came out, her mascara painting here face black. Was the interview that hard that this man who looked perfect enough for the job also didn't get selected? Was it so hard the a woman had to actually cry? When people so qualified itself didn't get the job means what's the guarantee that I would!!??

Now I started get into terms with reality . It's not too bad to get married at 24. Is it? Everyone is getting married. So, that wouldn't be a huge thing. Even I will get married. It's okay!

After numerous panic attacks and worthless consolations, my name was called. She was loud enough for me to fall off the chair.

Before entering the room. I stopped, took a deep breath and promised myself that I wouldn't cry if I didn't get this job. I promised I would be strong.

"Esha is a strong girl." Repeating it again and again I went inside the room.

The room had a cold aura, that one would catch a fever even during summer if they sat here. The entire room was absent of any colors. It was different shades of grey and more black. The floor was impeccably white that I could even see my own reflection! It was not pretty.