CHAPTER THREE : INDENTITY

I head home to break the news to my parents. I had never been this happy to tell them anything, not even when my board results came out. I skipped my way to the kitchen where I knew my mother would be there preparing lunch. I stood there with a goofy grin on my face waiting for her to notice me, but she was too immersed in whatever she was doing to notice my presence there.

And this mischievous thought crept to that tiny brain of mine.

I curled down my smile with a downcast look, maybe with a tear or two, I approached my mother. Now was the time to display my Oscar level acting skills.

I put my hands on the counter to which she looked up to see me.
"Oh you're back! How did it-" Her once eager expression morphed to one of a blank one,
"You didn't get the job did you?"

Now, what would everyone expect a parent to do in this kind of situation? Console and tell everything is going to be alright. Maybe give some extra pocket money to put things out of your mind. Right? But we are talking about my mother here. An Indian mother to be precise.

"I knew it! Why was I even expecting so much, we are talking about you here. All that waking up before dawn and doing those poojas down the drain. If I knew you'd be this useless, I would've considered giving birth to you. Oh God, Now I have to search a preferable groom for you, so much work." She kept rambling on.
Oh my mother, she never changes does she.

I couldn't help but form a smile on my face just looking at her moving all over the place shouting how useless I am and how she is going to find a groom for me.

"Smiling!? Why on earth are you smiling you buffoon!?" She asked completely annoyed that I would smile in such a situation.

"The thought of you getting all worked up for no reason, when I got the job." I ever so casually replied leaning beside the counter, small smirk playing on my lips. I knew it wouldl take a few seconds to sink in for her.

"Worked up!? Of course I'll get up! Why wont I when you got the jo-" Her sentence hung mid air, her entire body frozen.

"What did you just say?" She plainly questioned, not sure if she heard right.

"You heard me." That smirk growing larger every minute.

Oh victory is sweet! The look on her face!

After being frozen for another minute or so, she came running, squeezing the life out of me.

"Oh thank goodness, Thank God!" All those poojas didn't go to waste after all! You actually did it! I'm so proud of you!!" Sometimes I wonder if my mother had multiple personality disorder.

"Why are you so overwhelmed? I thought you wanted to marry me off?" I questioned in a teasing way though I knew the answer.

"I only told that so you would get a job. Now that you've gotten one, I don't have to worry about that anytime soon." She told as she kissed my forehead in loving way.
As much as my mother could be scary, she will always be there for me when I need her.

She then calls and informs my dad who was overwhelmed and bought me a watch to start anew. My dad first didn't believe what my mom told and only after I showed the contract did he believe. His eyes held such happiness that I couldn't explain by words.

My mom too overjoyed, making sweets and informing my relatives and friends. In that joy she forgot to notice the absence of my scooter.

After long, when I thought my mom completely forgot about it, "Where is your scooter? I didn't see it outside." She suspiciously asked me.

I gulp.

I didn't want her know what exactly happened. How am I supposed to tell her I crashed my scooter with the interviewer and then bribed his driver by lying. She would slap me to death.