Chapter 39:

He stumbled back, my wrist shooting with pain.

"Kinsley!" I hear Pony yell in shock as I make my way to the next one to see that Johnny was already there, throwing a punch.

The third one was about to grab him before Pony jumped up from the ground, tackling him to the ground before he could get to Johnny, "get outta here!" he yells, looking up to me, panic in his eyes, and I realized that it wasn't panic for him, but for Johnny and I.

Johnny grabbed onto my hand, and started running, but we were cut off by two socs.

"I got the girl" the taller one says, and before Johnny and I could think, we were being lunged at.

Johnny got hit first, his small body falling to the ground, mud splattering.

Then I was next.

I fell to the ground as if it were slow motion, the impact of falling on the ground hurting more than the punch.

I was just waiting for the panic attack to start, but instead, to my surprise, someone rose from within me.

I could still remember her presence as she snuck her way past, taking control of my body as she got my ass up off the ground, punching the soc in the face.

He looked just as surprised as I must have.

But before this other me could have anymore fun, Darry was running up from behind him, picking him up from behind and throwing him to the ground.

I could hear something crack.

And as quick as she came, she left.

"Get out of here! Now!" he yells as he turns to punch the one who sent Johnny flying.

And without any farther instruction, I helped Johnny off the ground and ran, his hand in mine.

We slowed down once we got to the streets, not having to worry about being jumped because all the socs were fighting.

We caught are breath as we walked the rest of the way to the Curtis house.

I could imagine the questions I would get from Johnny once we got back, from everyone else in the gang once we they got back, and I just wanted to hide in my room, doors locked.

Once we got inside, Johnny turned to me, "please don't. Not yet at least, I'm sure I'm gonna get a talkin to once the gang gets back"I tell him, "and I'm sorry for getting you punched in the face" I add, feeling bad that I lead him into the rumble after everything that's happened to him.

His eyes soften slightly, "it wasn't your fault, Kins, I chose to follow you" he says taking a step closer to me, his eyes avert to my cheek, "are you okay?" he asks, reaching a muddy hand out for my cheek.

I let him gently touch it, trying my best to prove to him that I was fine, "yeah. Are you?" I ask, looking at his growing bruise on his cheek.

He nods his head.

"You scared the crap outta me, Kins" he says, and I pull him into a hug, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to, I just couldn't..." I tell him, "I know" he says.

He hugs me back, leaning his head back to kiss me on my forehead.

"We should go get cleaned before we get yelled at" he says, and I agree.

We quickly get changed and sit on the couch.

As much as I wanted to lock myself in my room, Johnny wouldn't let me.

We sat and watched TV, my back pressed against Johnny's crotch, his back pressed against the side of the couch, legs spread as he plays with my hair, helping me calm down.