Chapter 48

"AHHHHHH!" Johnny's scream pierces my ear as a beam collapses onto his back. 

His body jolted to the floor as I just watched. The fire burning all around him, circling him like them socs do.

"JOHNNY!" I cry out, trying to crawl in the window to try and save him, but my feet wouldn't move.

Another cry of pain as the flames finally reach his legs, "HELP!" he cries as another beam falls in front of him, just missing his arms.

I lock eyes with him as he reaches his arm out, his face plastered with black gunk, his big brown doe eyes staring at me with such agony and terror. 

A  flaming wooden board falls onto his arm, another cry of pain, almost a mumble compared to the loud groan of the building.

"KI-" his scream was cut short by the roof caving in, the building collapsing.

"Johnny!" 

I jolt awake, my heart thundering in my head and chest as I look around frantically.

"Hey, hey, calm down, you're okay" a guy in front of me says, pushing my chest back down.

That's when I realizes.

I'm in a vehicle.

My eyes are blurry from all the smoke and tears that I can barely make out what he looks like. All I can make out is that he's fat.

"JohnNY" I choke out, my hoarse voice cracking, my throat stinging.

"He's in the ambulance ahead of us, he's gonna be okay" the man reassures me.

The sounds of the siren finally make it's way to my ears.

I'm in an ambulance too.

I look down at my arms to see them coated in black.

"You kids are the bravest kids I've seen in a long time" he says leaning back in his chair in the corner.

I didn't care what this guy thought, "Dally... Pony" I murmur quietly, my voice raw and tender.

"They're in the ambulance behind us. That one with the jean jacket. He made a hella of a fight trying to get in the ambulance with you" he says with a tiny smirk, "punched a paramedic" he says.

I chuckle, but it ended up turning into a coughing fit.

"Just relax till we get to the hospital" he says.

***

The sirens and engines stop and the back doors open, the blinding light making me blink back tears.

I see two people step into the vehicle, lifting the bed from underneath me, carrying me to the gurney on the ground.

They place me down as gently as they could, quickly rushing me inside, one pushing, the other taking notes and talking to the other nurses and doctors.

It all seemed a bit dramatic for a burnt hand and a little bit of smoke.

I was rushed into a room, the lights shining brightly.

I could barely see where I was going.

It went quiet in my room for a moment, the voices of other nurses and doctors sounding from out the hall.

Then I was being lifted up by a blanket again and being placed onto a hospital bed.

I started coughing from the movement.

"You're okay" a kind voice sounds.

My burning eyes adjust to the blinding light, and I can see a small figure in front of me.