55

☀︎

"And why exactly did I have to get ready for a party?" I ask Marc when I reach the living room. The wine red dress is clinging to my body and ends above my knees, the multiple straps go across my back and it was a hell to get into. I decided to match it with a pair of black heels, not caring that I may have to run away from someone tonight. 

"Xavier told me to tell you," He shrugs, closing the jacket to his blue suit. 

"Thank you for elaborating, darling. Now, why did Xavier tell you to tell me to get ready for a party?" My sweet tone makes him roll his eyes at me. 

He sits down on the couch, the expression on his face lets me know he doesn't want to spark up a conversation with me, "We got a lead on Zanto. He should be attending at party downtown tonight, hence me telling you to get ready because Romano told me to tell you. Are we good?"

"I don't know, stronzo. Are we?" Raising an eyebrow at him, a sudden flash of fear crosses in his eyes. 

"Sure we are," A nervous chuckle follows his words and he leaves the room. 

He must've forgotten the last time I pinned him against the car in a chokehold, perhaps I should remind him. I fucking hate being disrespected and usually I don't take shit from anyone, but in this house I have to put in an effort not to kill people. It's draining, really. 

"Who made you mad already?" Xavier's dark voice carries through the room and I turn around. His broad frame is covered with an all black suit. The darkness surrounding him compliments the dark fabric, and I tilt my head to the side by how delicious he's looking. No wonder I slept with him. 

"Lo ucciderò," (I'll kill him). 

"Who?" The humor is glinting in his eyes. 

"Marc."

"Ah, sì," Xavier nods his head and walks towards the front door, urging me to follow him. Doing so he opens the door for me and I slip out into the fresh air, "He has issues with a base in Brea, I'm giving him some time to figure his shit out before I crush his kneecaps. Apart from that, you look captivating tonight."

"Grazie, Xavier," I tell him and sit down in the passenger seat, when he opens the door for me. Marc steps out of the house with Joseph following behind him, the two of them sit in the back and then Xavier is off towards the clubs. 

"What's the plan tonight?" I ask them. 

Joseph is the one to answer, his eyes meet mine behind his curtain of long hair, "We need to find Zanto first and then we'll use you as bait, he wants to kill you after all. After that we'll knock him out and bring him in the basement, only to figure out some answers." 

"Shouldn't more of the mafia members be there?" This seems like a plausible question, they only move in groups. 

"Yes," Marc cuts in. "They already are. We didn't want to show up at the same time, so we've sent some men down there during the earlier hours of today."

Xavier looks at my thighs in a search, "You have your gun on you, no?"

"Was that really a question?" I ask him with a smirk.

He shakes his head with a simple smile, hiding it instantly afterwards, "I suppose not."

Joseph explains the plan that Roman planned out last night, I'm trying to listen and ensure that I have my own placements in the clear. They will use me as bait to lure Zanto out of the club, in the hopes of him following me down the street and that's where Xavier will be waiting. They considered having both Xavier and Marc there, but decided it would suffice with me and Xavier against Zanto. 

He isn't our biggest threat anyway. 

The rest of the mafia will stand by for orders, while ensuring that no other threat appears and ruins our plan. They'll be our backup in case we need it. The planning actually makes it more fun to hunt people down, something about knowing it before them makes it exciting. 

Joseph hands me a black device and gestures for me to put it in my ear, "We can hear you and you can hear us."

Shrugging my shoulders, I place the device in my ear and he successfully tests it.

Xavier parks the car and we leave the vehicle into the cold air, I adjust my dress slightly and wait for the men to enter the first club, without me. Rixta. Giving them a couple of minutes, I also enter the crowded space and nod my head at the bouncer when he opens the door for me. 

Rixta is a club where people are constantly dancing, the lights bounce off the walls and it's hard to see through the heavy smoke filling up the room. My feet carry themselves to the bar where I order a bourbon, downing it completely when the bartender offers me the glass. 

Scanning the room, I spot Xavier and Marc sitting by a table in the back, both of them are looking directly at me. 

"Way to be subtle, idiots," I whisper which makes Marc smile. 

Xavier speaks, "Your entrance demands attention, don't think too much of it."

Shaking my head, I search the room for other familiar faces and come up short. Joseph should be hiding in the shadows somewhere, with the other men of the mafia.

Ignoring their stares, I get on with the agreement we made and stand in the middle of the dance floor. Allowing the heavy beats from the music to direct the slow and sultry movements of my body, the goal is to attract the attention of Zanto or someone who's here with Zanto. 

A fiery and too familiar stare is growing heated on my body, I know exactly who's looking at me. He isn't allowed to come down here and stop me, but I could very well give him a show. The gun presses against my thigh and I'm reminded what we're truly here for, that doesn't stop me from dropping down to the beat. 

"You have the attention of a creep," Marc speaks into my ear device.

Snaking my body up again, an unfamiliar hand latches onto my waist and my body is pressed against a sweaty one. The man stares down at me with dark eyes, the desire pooling in his gaze lets me know he saw my dance. 

"The first part was seeing you dance with clothes on," He says with a slimy voice. "The second part involves dancing as well, but with no clothes on. What do you say?"

A certain need to choke him to death washes over me, but I smirk instead and go along with the plan, "You're willing to give me a pleasurable night, no?"