|[56]|

But above all, you could go home.
----------

You stood there for a short while, looking at the ground that was now infested with titans. They seemed to preoccupied with the carcass to even try and attack you.

This was it.

You had somehow managed to survive this hell. Tears started to form in your eyes, you had managed to do it.

What would your teammates think? What would Levi think? Even the thought of that made the tears stream down your face. You would be able to see him again.

The tears created streaks on your cheeks through the layer of dirt and filth that had managed to build up.

The realization had set in. You could go home. It felt unreal.

As you looked down you could only see blurred outlines through the tears. You silently cursed yourself for crying in the first place, had you grown soft because of Levi?

You could only feel satisfied at the loud sounds on the titans underneath you. Not only had you taken revenge for yourself. You had taken revenge for Demian, and everything he had to go through because of her.

The thought alone left a satisfied smile on your face.

Barely using gas, you managed to travel all the way to the edge of the forest. Somehow it still felt surreal to be able to go home. Where not only Levi and both your squads would be waiting, if everything went right then Luca and Arlo would be there as well.

You sat on the branch as you looked at the view in front of you. Vast fields and in the distance the outline of the walls. Without your horse it would be hard to get back, let alone manage to get inside.

There wasn't a gate on this side you were pretty sure, and the chance to run into a titan would only increase the longer you walked through the fields. There would be no way you could manage to outrun them and you wouldn't be able to use your gear either in these surroundings.

You sat against the stem of the tree, pondering how to get back. Even if you would manage to find a gate it wouldn't be sure that they could open it for you to come in.

In the end you concluded that there'd be a high chance that you'd have to climb the wall. You had climbed that height before many times so you didn't think too much of that, besides you could use your gear as failsafe.

With your current amount of gas you'd maybe get halfway, which was enough to be out of reach for the titans.

The rest you'd have to climb up in that case, it would be hard though. The concrete walls probably would be the hardest surface you had climbed yet.

This was even leaving your current physical state out of question, you were exhausted, both physically and mentally. Although the wounds you had weren't major, they did pile up. They stung, and at least a few had to be infected by now. Wounds had reopened, cuts had been made by your travels through bushes and thin branches that had tore your skin.

Your muscles ached from sleeping on stone and in trees for the past week, and you had strained them continuously.

Although you had managed to get through most of this hell, it was far from over.

Despite the fact that it was still the middle of the day, your eyes close by themselves as you sat in the tree.

Maybe it was for the first time that week you managed to sleep peacefully. Your biggest worry was now taken care off.

When you opened your eyes the area around you was different once more. You had started to pick up on the hints of dreams now. Yet somehow they were so life like.