Fifty Two: Courts and Chad

"What would you say defined you this year, seeing as you've accomplished so much in one year." I looked in the direction of the huge lights set up in a corner for this interview, trying to get my thoughts together.

"I spent last year in recovery. Literally all of last year was spent reinventing the brand that is myself, just basically dealing with the emotions that came out of being in one of the worst things anyone could ever be in. I think it defined me, it pushed me to be a better person, what gave me my best push though, was knowing that my family is on my side." She nodded and I exhaled. I'd been talking in one breath without stopping.

"Is being Labeebah Bakura in any way detrimental to you?" She asked with a smile. This host is one of those people who know how to draw out information from her guests by asking too much. In a bid to want to explain yourself, you give the whole thing or yourself away, so I paced myself for a few seconds before replying her.

"No. Asides the fact that people judge me more for not getting to places before time or when they call out my father for my dressing, which I have no problem with since it's in line with my religion. The worst thing I've ever had is someone asking if I married B.B Bakura." The host laughs, in a fake nearly original way that lets me know that she's been found out.

"I understand. What do you do to relax?" I thought things through.

"I burn incense." I began to chuckle as I said it. My favorite thing after sleeping is finding good incense and burning it. I think it's the Maiduguri woman in me, and now that I know I'm from there, it explains the obsession I've had with getting good incense and burning it.

"No you don't." She says, incredulity filling her tone. I laugh, seeing her face.

"I don't really wear perfumes. I wear incense instead. A perfect gift for me is to dry roses or daises or some very fragrant flower so I can make it into incense." She asks me how it relaxes me.

"In the time I faced a lot of tribulation that I couldn't tell anyone but Allah about, I just simply burned incense. I would read the Qur'an, do other things but come back to study the incense I'm about to burn just to burn it. It took my mind of things, it still does, and I'm thankful that I can afford it." She shuffled through her notes, I know she's about to ask a huge question.

"What about Amal? Your co-wife. What would you say about her?" I blinked. I knew a question was coming, but not of this magnitude.

"She's a pitiful person. The time I found out about her, I didn't even have the urge to be angry, I was worried about what people would say about me if I took action. That time, I was very concerned about the thoughts of others on the actions that I took, it used to weigh me down a lot. Not anymore, since now, I take my own decisions for my own self. I backtrack though, I didn't find her to be anything other than pitiful and if at the time I could advice her, I'd have said to her, please don't do it." The host didn't speak while I spoke, she let me express myself and I'm giving her a passmark for that.

"Did you wish for things to be like this? And if you ever met your ex husband again, what would you do?" I shook my head at her question. She doesn't smile this time, knowing the severity of the questions.

"I would say, 'May you take the rest of your punishment in front of Allah'. That is all I will say." I ended with that. I don't want to dredge up memories or pull trouble for myself in such a public place.

Someone secretly passed a tablet to the host from a space under the table. I took my eyes off it and did as though I'd not seen it.

She looked up at me. Meemah Dutse.

"News reaching us says that this morning social commentator and blogger, Ahmadu Yar-Gombe, was charged to court on a three count charge of Slander, purposeful slander and maligned hate and slander with intention to incite others. Is this true?" I shook my head, trying to recollect if I'd heard any news about the man who had called me promiscuous and lascivious on national television getting arrested.

"Was he arrested?" She shook her head, looking at the person who brought her the tablet. She confirmed and shook her head again.

"He was not arrested. He was only invited to a police station to write a statement and then allowed to go home, then charged to court this morning." I blinked my eyes rapidly, feeling the weight of not knowing what to say on my tongue.

"I'm speechless, really." I added seeing the disbelief written on her face. "This is the first time I'm hearing of this." She laughed, this time the laughter was mocking.

"It says here though, that your brothers and three of your male cousins are the complainants. They're are backed up by six female barristers." I swallowed the huge ball of tears in my throat. Bashir and Munir are the best brothers any girl could ever ask for.

"Really?" I asked her, she nodded her head very firmly. I sighed and shut my eyes as I thought of a suitable reply.

"I don't think we can talk about it, since it's in court, but I'll say just one sentence. I hope people will  stop trying to dictate what women should do or shouldn't do, I also hope they can eat what they dish out to others." I pursed my lips. I'm done with this interview.

******

N'Djamena, Chad.

"You're going to leave me soon Amal."

Amal stopped in the middle of the small space that served as their room and parlour and kitchen. It was all they could afford since they were on the run.

"Maama." She breathed out, Amal remembered that Abdul's mother had gone blind a few months after they left Nigeria so she patted her chest to calm herself. She's blind, she can't know. Was her Chant to herself as she walked close to the blind woman on the sinking mattress.

"It's not true. I would never. I love you like my own mother." Though she wrinkled her nose as she said this, she remembered that at some time in her life it was true. She had loved this woman and helped her make the life of another woman pain.

"You're going. It's okay. I know you're far too young to be here wasting away, especially since Abdul is in prison. But, he hasn't divorced you yet, nor has he died. Remember all of that wherever you run away to." Amal rolled her eyes, feeling rage building from being reminded that she had with her own eyes and hands married an assassin. She couldn't believe it but it was too much of a fact.

"I'm not going anywhere Maama. Okay? I'm just going to wash this clothes at the communal tap. I'll be back soon." Amal got up, carried the steel basin on her head and walked out of the stuffy room.

She hissed loud once she was out of earshot, she had made the worst mistake of her life marrying Abdul, and she was about to rectify it by better actions.

*
*******

Happy New Year 🎉 people

May 2021 bring us joy, happiness and recovery from the losses of 2020. More of God's blessings too🙏🏽

It's the birthday of my twin sister, Nanah_Muhammad. Happy Birthday baby. God bless your new age💙✨

See y'all soon. Be safe please, wear a mask if you're going anywhere please.

TheOmoope 💙💛🙃