Chapter Thirty Seven: Decisions

Hi guys, please comment. Please I beg you, comment. I'll be very grateful 🙏

"Try getting up again."

I sigh and moved to get up, disregarding the gargantuan pain in my back and sweat dripping from my face and hair, infact everywhere. I was trying to take my first steps for the first time in nearly five months.

Apparently, the physiotherapist was waiting for my bones go become stronger before forcing me into starting to get more feeling in my legs. For about two weeks, my only exercise was letting an expensive bike like physiotherapy machine turn my legs continuously. It hurt so much and I do not ever want to go back to it.

"Jibike, I'm trying. I'm trying but it's so hard. My back hurts like a bitch." She nodded knowingly and reached out to pat my shoulder. Tears sprung to my sweaty eyes and I blinked to keep them back.

"You can do it Beebah. You can do it so let out your tears, screams and get walking. Do it for those of us who cheer you on, but, do it for yourself the most. You can do it." The very tears I was trying to hold back spilled down and I said a dua for strength as she strapped my legs to machine again and pressed a button that made the machine take my entire body's weight except for my legs and back so I had to make the full effort of walking even if it killed me to do so.

"Step one…" She counted and I walked, I screamed at the pain. It was as though several hammers were pushing me to take a step. I wanted to stop but she arched a brow at me and I poised to take another step.

"Two…" I shut my eyes and screamed "Ya Allah!" I saw Huda turn away from me and sob loudly into the scarf she had hazardly tied on this morning, she must have removed it in anguish.

"Three..." I breathed out and called Allah's name severally in my mind. I could not take another step but the pain pushed me, the very thought of being an actress again or even hugging my Ma without being at a height advantage pushed me. The very thought of being able to kneel and pray to my Lord without the help of anyone pushed me the most so I took the fourth step with a shout.

"Five." Just as I took the last step, Jibike turned off the machine and clapped her hands but my clothes were already wet with tears and sweat so I didn't clap or anything, I just wanted to bathe and sleep for hours, I turned to her quizzically, that was all? She smiled and nodded.

"Congratulations baby." Huda's voice reached me as she shook her head in pure amazement.

"Baby you're so brave, so powerful!" I smiled at being called powerful. I didn't think I could be qualified by that adjective. She reached out and helped me back into the wheel chair that Jibike held waiting and when I sat, I didn't feel as much pain as I felt earlier.

"What's next Jibike?" I asked with a wheel of the chair to face my physiotherapist. She thought about things for a second and walked to a table in the corner to get a notebook she left there and as she consulted the book, she nodded. I knew because I watched her every move, I wanted to know everything, including her emotions.

"A month of this and you can use crutches. You'll be fine in time for your birthday." She said much to my delight and added "By God's grace." I nodded and Huda echoed her with a loud "In Sha Allah."

"Right now, all you need is sleep, and mentally prepare yourself for tomorrow. How's that?" She asked and I nodded firmly again. Speaking would make me burst into tears again and I didn't want that so I let Huda wheel me out of the exercise room.

"Baby, I'm happy for you. You're going to walk in time for your birthday? That's the best news I've heard in a while. By the way, we can use that time to do a comeback for you." I nodded, still not speaking, just trying to clear the clog and lump in my throat.