Chapter Six: Taking charge

Heyo guys, please for this back to back updates, please comment. I love to hear what you think. Love y'all and happy reading.

"I have some free time between ten and twelve later, so please get ready to go to the bank." As I spoke, a ping came on both our phones, I know because I saw him walk to his and open his message.

I took a leisurely stroll to where my phone was and tapped on it, heart literally falling into my stomach when I saw it was from the bank. "Abdul? Another five hundred thousand? Why?" He just hisses and walks to the room we once shared, my whole self is trembling as i follow him at a more sedate pace.

"Why would you withdraw another five hundred thousand naira? Zuwaiya isn't getting married ba? It's you? You're using my money to fund your marriage. How cruel can you be? That you'll take an orphan's money to fund a frivolous thing. I didn't say don't get married, I didn't ask you a single question. Why then are you punishing me?" I furiously wipe tears that gathered on my lower lids.

"What your money? Last time I checked, in December remember? After I sated your hungry empty body," He eyes me from head to toe. "You said the money was mine as much as it was yours? What has changed now?" I shake my head at him, I cannot believe him for a second.

"You mean what you're saying? Oh wow. Wow. I'll remind you if you want to intentionally dense and forget that I made every single Kobo in that joint account. You haven't made a single money since at least seventeen months." My hands are on my waist so when he slaps me viciously, I cannot hide, his hand hits my face, hard.

One minute, I'm shutting my eyes, the other minute I'm bawling like a baby. The pain of the unfairness and the entire thing brings sorrow to my eyes. He pushes me put of the way, making me fall and  hit my dangling leg on the bedside table.

When I hear the front door shut, I sit on the bed and cry like my life just ended. I did absolutely nothing to deserve this treatment. Nothing.

I walk around the house, cleaning surfaces and countertops in the kitchen, calming myself and saying duas. My phone rings from my bedroom and I drop the cleaning rag and cleaning liquid on the kitchen table to answer. When I reach the phone, it has started ringing again. It's Abdul's mother. I roll my eyes to the heavens, what does she want now?

"Hello my dear, how are you?"

I sigh and look at my face in the mirror, my lips are swollen from the slap her son threw me this morning. "Hello Ma." I don't bother with trying to make my voice nice.

"How's work?" I say quietly that work is good, thank God. She stops and clears her throat. "Are you busy on the twelfth, thirteenth and fourteenth?" I ask her what she needs.

"Its just that Abdul darling is getting married on those days and as the Uwargida of the bride, I'd like for you to be there. You know, since you're so nice and all, you can make the girl feel better about marrying Abdul." I laugh, my hand going to the lip busted earlier.

"Maama. You should have told me, I'm going to Lagos to shoot a short film and won't be back until the twentieth. I'm sorry, I really wish I could attend." She sounds apologetic and says she really wishes I could come, I make some more apologetic sounds, standing my ground, even though I'll be in Abuja  the whole time.

The call ends with her saying she has given Abdul an invitation to the wedding for me because the bride's family is some huge people in Kano. I'm not surprised because, it is Abdul-Mumin and he must have found her before she found him and knowing him, he will stop working immediately she has a stable source of income and leave her to fend for them both.

*******

I stare at the floor length mirror, smoothing down the skirt to the yellow and navy blue Ankara I'm wearing. I sigh as I check my lips again, I adjust my head gear and wrap the navy blue veil I'm wearing properly, letting it rest on my left shoulder with another sigh.

The most popular search engines say that I better line my lips with lipstick to hide the bust and gloss it over with lip gloss. I somehow wish I didn't confront Abdul this morning, I should have just left him be, now I would not be with this briuse. My famous temper and getting beyond me is becoming an issue. I pick the bag that matches the veil and slippers when my phone pings to tell me that driver has arrived.

I take the now working elevator downstairs and embrace the cold air anticipating rain later, dark clouds have gathered. I step outside the gate to find the driver who is in a red Camry, flashing lights when he sees me.

"Hello. Good Morning, Mr Joe." He nods and greets me as he makes a turn to take the car the other way. I'm going to the bank to meet Abdul and from there go to the bridal shower I'm going to attend.

Soon, the car pulls over at the bank, I pay the driver and go into the banking hall. I move straight to the customer care section, greeting the care agent who recognises me immediately in spite of my glasses.

"Hello Ma'am." I greet her back and follow her up stairs to another floor where her boss is waiting. "What can we do for you today?" I smile at her, feeling pain in my in my busted lip. "I'd like to clear out my husband and I's joint family savings account." She stops walking and turns to me.

"What? Is everything okay?" I smile, take off my glasses and say that all is very well, we just need the money to do a few things. I add a convincing smile to further cement my askance.

"Okay, let's take you straight to see the bank manager. He's the only one who can help. Okay?" I nod, she takes me there and at the door is about three or four people. Instead of looking at their faces, I turn on my phone and look at videos from the Kamu ceremony of a fellow actress that I'm attending later.

About twenty minutes later, I'm signing documents that transfers all the money in the account to my personal account. I go downstairs and open another personal savings account, send all the money there and wait for Abdul to get an alert.

As I walk out of the bank, I smile, I hope he has a heart attack when he sees that I finally spined up and took back my independence. My financial independence.

******

*****

So, how was it?

How's Labeebah? I feel like Abdul has pushed her to a breaking point. She's this 👌🏾 close to killing him herself. 💔😩

If you can, send a review of what you've read so far. I'll be very grateful.

Please follow me everywhere, I post stuff about my books and my life on my social media accounts. I'm @theomoope on Instagram, check my message board for a link to get there.

See y'all soon.

TheOmoope 💙❣️