Fifty Seven: Lefe

Please leave a comment. I'll endeavor to reply each one. I'll be waiting for your votes too. Xx

"They are here. Let's go through the back."

I frowned but looked out of the glass walked balcony a bit before turning around and leaving with Huda who is leaving with me. There's a convoy of four vehicles up in the distance and they're pulling up dust with their speed, I know without any doubt that they're my Lefe team and I need to leave the house now.

"I've left that girl Nadia and Falmata to snap the pictures and send them to us the moment they're stacked. I dont want stale news." I laughed. Knowing Huda, she must have given them strict instructions that they're to follow to the letter. Take pictures, send to her immediately and get rewarded.

I sighed, letting my hand be held and pulled outside the house through the back gate. The gate scraped the ground, making a lot of noise as we shut it and locked it, Huda put the key in her bag. Kaka is the host of today's Lefe bringing, if it can be called that because Ma had a breakdown yesterday. She misses Kawu very much and she had to be sedated yesterday morning before getting better in the evening, Baaba's sister and his elder brother's wife are also present. Making about eight women from my side.

"What are you ruminating on?" I giggled, wondering if any part of my fave looked like a ruminant animal just now. I bit my lip as I slid my seat belt on, in the passenger seat before answering Huda. "Well, I'm worried. You people asked me to go see this man, I don't think it's a good idea and I'm going to keep telling you so."

Huda pursed her lips, I know because I was watching her face intently. I know it's been a source of worry for my cousin and my grandmother, but I want to be spared the trouble of facing that man that ruined my life for a bit of money. Not a bit of money but it's just still money.

"Bee. Labeebah Bakura." She said, she was poised to start the car before I spoke but now her hands are on the steering wheel. "I believe you understand that we have your best interest at heart, every single time. There's never a time where I or Kaka or your lawyers have made a decision with you in badlight. Never. But this meeting, it needs to be held, because you still ask questions like 'why', like 'how' and I want those questions to end." She paused and chose her words carefully.

"Kaka wants you to move on with life without worrying if anyone has you on their to-hurt list. She wants you to live life fully and Alhamdulillah, you have enough resources for that, all you need is to free your mind and you're too much of a conscience filled person to do that. I know you. If it were Rabiah, I know she'd put all of that in one part of her brain and lock it up, never to rise again but you, it haunts you. It makes you question your love with Sa'ad.

I'm not saying you don't love him, I'm saying you question your affection. You question his affection for you, you even in your behavior question Allah's gift to you." I shut my eyes slowly, feeling the feathery touch of my lashes on my lower lids. I tried to exhale, to explain, to give words to negate Huda but I can't. Because it's true.

"I've heard you. Let's do this." She unbuckled her seat belt and hugged me as much as my own seatbelt allowed. I feel wooden, quite boneless, but sure that after the answers I get today, it's a new dawn.

She let me go and started her car, driving out of the back compound Kaka bought to turn into a garden just to entertain guests. She stepped down as Chairman of the family company a few months back and said she wanted to retire in Abuja. This house, the land beside it is her own way of taking root in Abuja.

Huda pressed play on a recitation of Surah Duha and I glanced at her in surprise before pressing down my scarf around my head and basking in the soothing words of Allah subhana wa ta’ala to Prophet Muhammad (SAW) when he was depressed. I don't think the burst of warmth in my chest is anything other than love for Huda.

********

Kuje Maximum Prisons, FCT.

"Abdullahi Babagana! Cell Four, you have a visitor." Abdul hissed, the warden should have come close to his cell instead of shouting his name in the whole prison like that. Now people who had forgotten him would remember him and trouble would start all over again.

He waited though, for the gate to be opened and the shackles unlocked by the little warden who had only begun work a few months ago. Shoddy, menial jobs like pushing a wheelchair prisoner like Abdul was left to the warden and although the man tried to be nice, he just couldn't, the things that brought Abdul to the prison was not something that should be found in the character traits of any man.

"Let's go." He wheeled him out slowly. Abdul smiled slowly, relishing the balance of his new wheelchair that had been given by a non-profit organization. His smile died however when he remembered that he was at the mercy of others and their giving. He had to beg now before being handed anything and it but through him deeply.

"Oga Samuel, Abeg who be my guest?" Abdul asked the prison warden who had shouted his name, there was none of the irritated grimace he has given earlier when the man called his name. Oga Samuel hissed, didn't reply, only waving for the rookie warden to push Abdul into the visitors room.

He was pushed to the center of the room where Labeebah was waiting, with her back turned and the fan's powerful air taking holds of the hem of Labeebah's Japanese inspired kimono and flaying it up. She turned and Abdul's heart skipped.

It had to be said though, that now that Abdul had the taste of the power of people who loved her and what they would do to protect her, he feared her. He feared the very notion that if he tried to do anything stupid, he would not get out of it alive.

He knew who had broken his kneecaps because her father had come to his cell after he was put in there and boasted about how he, her father could end his life but would not so that he, Abdul could suffer a lot more. Abdul knew he could no longer mess with Labeebah, so he greeted her first.

"Assalamualaikum." Labeebah found herself replying his Salam but shaking her head at his condition. He was one of the proudest humans she had ever met and seeing him like this, satisfied some savage interest she had. She felt satisfied that what he planned, he got ten fold.

"Why?" She asked. She wanted to know why, to what end, to what means. She wanted to know everything but to her surprise, he began to jerk as he spoke. Alerting the warden in the room to come closer and ask if everything was okay. Abdul nodded and asked the warden to return him to cell Four. He had nothing to say to Labeebah.

As he turned though, he found the words that adequately explained him and what fueled his actions.

"My greed. My greed was why."

*****

Hey lovely people 😍

🙈🙈So, here goes. We're seeing Abdul finally finding out Labeebah's so powerful that he should not have set out against her in the start. But human nature and greed is such a powerful emotion.

I'll write more (hopefully) and update so we can get to the end before I resume school. 🙈

Please vote, press the orange star at the end of this chapter. May God bless you ❤️🙌🏾

See y'all soon.

TheOmoope 💙💛🙃

PS, I hope y'all got your invitations? Because it admits only one person. No Iv, no entry. 😅😌😌