Chapter Twelve: Miyan Bushashen

'Oh my Allah, now I know! My fave was lied against'

I rolled my eyes at the dramatics of that comment and scrolled down the many prayers for Allah to give me peace. I checked the insights of the post and found out a hundred thousand people had posted it to their story. I chuckle, people sure like drama.

I leave the post and check how many people secretly visited my page, over two hundred and fifty thousand. I nod, this would be good for me also, it's like killing two birds with one stone, scold Ali and gain more followers.

My phone pings with a video call from my aunt and I swipe up quickly, I want to hear what she has to say. "Ma, Ina Kwana." My mom smiled, holding the ends of her scarf, she really doesn't understand when I tell her no one else can see our calls. "Labibi. How are you doing?" I shift, putting one of my fluffy pillows behind me as I recline further into my bed.

"Ma, I'm fine. Very fine." She tries to look at my face well, which in my aunt-speak is; putting her face to the lens of the camera. "Are you eating well? I hope you're not eating all those junk." I shake my head before shaking no, and that I'm eating healthy. I know she called for a separate reason.

"Labibi. Good work with that useless man. Can you imagine his audacity." I laughed and heard my uncle laugh also in the background, my aunt takes on my battles and fights them all by her own self. Comments on my pictures, insults naysayers like no man's busniess.

"Who helped you?" I smile, my foster parents know that I like to run away from confrontations and situations that potentially turn out to be a fight.

"Rabiah introduced a PR company to me. They drafted the message and sent a sound warning to that yeye man." My aunt nods emphatically. "Good, now no one can just talk nonsense." I laugh and end the call, seconds later, while I'm scrolling through my phone, a knock sounds at the door and I'm pulling on my satin bonnet that I wear in the mornings.

"Good Morning." I say when I open the door. "Good morning Labeebah, I want to speak to you and Amal before I leave for work. So, come out now." I nod and walk back to my room, put my phone back to charging and do the short walk to the bathroom to get some scrub unto my face since today is my exfoliating day. If I don't like the conversation, I'll just keep using my hands to rub my face in circular motions.

When I reach the leaving room, Amal and Abdul are waiting, I giggle silently to myself as I remember their wedding hashtag again. I find a seat at my comfy plush high chair and wait for them to begin.

"Assalamualaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh." Amal says the reply to the Salam loudly while I just sit there mummuring the reply as slowly as I can. Abdul clears his throat and sighs before talking.

"Ramadan begins in a week and a half." I nod, saying an Alhamdulillah. "So, I wanted the both of you to know that you'd share the housework equally. Two weeks each of the holy month, so think of how free you'd be." I sigh, I should have known. As much as I do not want to have anything to do with them, I'll just have to keep pick and do my best on those days because I can forsee it, Abdul will stress me out.

Abdul's modus operandi is like this; after you've gone through the day reading the Quran and just generally being a good Muslim, he calls you around five pm that about ten of his friends are coming over for Iftar.

They all come with specifications; one likes Miyan Taushe, the other likes Sinasir, another likes Waina and another likes egusi and tuwo. And then expect you to pull off chef like skills in two hours. I catered it all the times he pulled out trick cards like that which is why I earned the name 'Delicate amarya' in an unkind manner amongst his friends.

Now, I want to see if he'll try that with Amal. "...Labeebah!" I turn back to him, he has jerked me out of my reverie. "Choose." I smile at Amal and choose the last two weeks, I'm gambling on the fact that they'd too busy begging Allah to answer their prayers than come to the house to eat.