Chapter Fifty: Wedding Bells

For my Amirah dblackvirgo. Thank you for all that you do.

"He's still resting. Your phone has been ringing continuously, maybe your appointment is important." I watched as Hamieydat Al Hassan pursed her lips in frustration, she acquiesced to Falmata's suggestion and told her to call immediately Baaba woke up. We both nodded and waved her goodbye as she left in a flurry of flowery Abaya and wide sweeping sleeves.

"I think she likes Baaba." I turned to Falmata and watched her face, the animosity I expected was not there. Just neutral excitement of the fact that someone liked Baaba, I chuckled but my chuckles died when I remembered Baaba had not yet woken since he fell asleep after waking from his surgery last night.

"Do you think she's good for him?" I asked, leaning back in the comfortable sofa I had sat on once we came into the room. I slept fitfully last night and this morning we rushed down here without breakfast.

"It's more like is Baaba going to be good for her. He's so busy with work already, would he have time for her? Would she not feel neglected? As long as he will make an effort, it's going to be amazing." I shook my head in respect for Falmata. I don't think teenagers think like this anymore, always having a steady perspective to issues.

We fell into a silence that was punctuated by the sound of the ECG machine that beeped every other second. Bashir and Munir came in about ten minutes later, they'd gone to Baaba's office earlier to deal with some issues that came up.

"How's he?" I shrugged, nothing had changed since we left last night. Bashir walked up to Baaba and looked him over, even bending over to feel his heartbeat. I watched him closely, smiling, only to see Baaba's hand push Bashir back.

"Why are you feeling my heartbeat? I'm not dead yet." The whole room collapsed into laughter before we comprehended the fact that Baaba had woken up.

"You're awake. How could you allow her to stab you like that?" Baaba sent Falmata a glare before asking me to raise the bed and Munir to fetch him some water. Falmata wanted to call for the doctor but was stopped.

"It was either stabbing me or stabbing Hamieydat." Our eyes widened in unison, this was some new information. Baaba's secret service security had said they had no idea how she was in the restaurant Baaba was having his date in. She being Yaana, formerly Bakura.

"How come?" Bashir managed to ask the question on all our minds.

"Well, Hamieydat went to the restroom and I too out my phone to text this one here." He raised a finger in Falmata's direction, coughed slowly and breathed in some air before speaking. "She just came and began taking about how I was betraying her by doing all this disgusting things. I suddenly got angry, I don't know if that was my undoing but one minute I was standing up to argue with her, the next I found a knife being slashed through me. Hamieydat found me that way, a knife nearly spilling my guts." Munir chuckled and the rest of us buried our laughter. The way Baaba said it had caused laughter instead if ensuing pity and sympathy.

"You all can laugh all you want. That's why I was happy earlier when you advised her to go home. I can't let her see me like this." Falmata burst out full on in laughter. I shook my head at my father and pushed Bashir out if the way to hug him. I patted his back over and over before reaching back to ask him if he heard all we said earlier.

"Keh! Falmata, you have so little faith in me?" Falmata didn't reply, she was still laughing so hard, when she finally got herself together. She pointed at him and said, "You better be careful not to open your stitches."

"But Mom loves dad, she isn't one to rashly do things like this." Munir brought us back to the main issue. Baaba sighed with a nod if his head, Bashir who had gone to occupy my seat said with hand under his chin.