The Slime

The conference hall for the Galactic Assembly hall was awash in chaos. Captain Vir sat wide eyed next to krill (temporary representative of earth while the ambassador was away). The Assembly members argued over each other raised voices becoming even more agitated than the ones before.

"ORDER, ORDER I SAY" A loud hammering broke through the noise, and the gathered assembly took to their seats eyes wide with fright.

The chairwoman folded her posterior appendages to the front, "I will have order. Panic will do nothing for us. As it seems, the Gromm's home world has been overrun by a virulent plague. Unfortunately, we are not sure of the exact nature of the disease. Before their scientists could come to us with their discovery all communications had gone dark..... We fear we may have lost them."

"That's not right." The entire assembly hall turned to look at the human. Krill sunk behind the desk in embarrassment.

"You have something to say, human?"

Captain Vir looked awkwardly down at the desk for a moment before taking a deep breath and standing up, "Well aren't you going to send someone. The CDC or a hazmat team, you can't just leave them to die out there, can you? Not if there is soemthing that can be done." The entire hall rumbled with assent to the human's words.

The chairwoman leaned back eyeing the human, "Tell me than, what makes you qualified to make such suggestions." The hall grumbled again

"Well, I come from a world that has had a ton of plagues and diseases as you know, the black plague, Spanish influenza, smallpox, bird flu to name a few. And every time that happened, someone came in to help. Take Ebola as an example, a hemorrhagic fever originating near the Ebola River that, as the name suggests, causes massive internal bleeding with fever. It is so contagious that you can catch it through contact with bodily fluids, from dead bodies, and (After a particular mutation) through contact with the air. It has somewhere between a 50-90% fatality rate without treatment. And despite that, when outbreaks happen we don't just leave those people to die. Volunteer doctors and nurses went in with hazmat suits to take care of those people. Some of them died, some of them caught the disease, and others saved a lot of lives."

The room was surprisingly quiet. Krill was surprised too, they knew humans to be a warlike species, but they hadn't known them to be so.... Caring. To risk death to help those who may not be saved?

"A touching story, Captain, but how does that help us?"

Captain Vir crossed his arms, "If I can contact Earth, and find someone who is willing to help, I will personally fly them in myself to provide security."

***

"Why did you agree to this?" Krill wondered uneasily watching as the captain and the rest of the volunteer medical team began strapping on their hazmat uniforms. Behind his clear plastic mask, the captain grinned fogging up the glass face, "Because, someone's gotta do it, and besides, humans have the best immune systems this side of the galaxy."

Krill grumbled slightly, "Maybe to earth diseases, which are disgusting, but not to alien diseases."

"I thought you were a surgeon, not an infectious disease specialist."

"I still went to medical school." Krill grumbled, "Now remember captain, stay safe, and keep clean. Make sure to follow any and all decontamination procedures. Don't touch anything if you don't have to. Keep your feed on, so that I can see what's going on. Maybe I can help. Also, remember to keep you-"

"Respirator on and gloves on at all times, yes Krill, I'm not stupid. I don't want to die either." Next to him, the other volunteers from his crew were strapping on their weapons making ready for entry.