Snow

Maroz 324's sky was cold and blue overhead. It's distant binary stars hung high in the sky over the flat, cold alien landscape painted in shades of blue and white. No footprints, or tracks of any kind crossed it's surface, and remained that way until the shuttle roared down from the bright morning sky and towards the chilled surface.

The GA (Galactic Assembly's( scientific landing crew felt the weight of the ship as it settled onto the ice, and unbuckled themselves from their seats turning towards the wall to grab their gear. The crew consisted of two Vrul, one Tesraki and a Rundi as it usually was.... That was all accept for the humans, who ducked through the door and into the room, tall and menacing with their forward facing eyes and glittering white teeth.

The human pilot, wearing an eyepatch, and accompanied by a Vrul and Drev of his own paused in the doorway, "We ran some diagnostics on the planet surface. The ice is made mostly of well.... Water which is obviously a good thing for us. As for temperature and atmospheric readings, we have mostly nitrogen, bu at least 21% oxygen. Not a whole lot of carbon. Outside reading on the ship shows that there seems to be no liquid water present on the surface, and as such indicates no bacterial presence, though that may mean nothing at this point. Temperature is a balmy -20 degrees Fahrenheit or -28 degrees celsius.

"Balmy, is this your humor, human?" one of the scientists wondered pulling on a contained environment suit with respirator, temperature control, and a crap-load of other life support equipment, "Subzero temperatures make this planet a deathtrap, unlivable. An extremely hostile environment."

The human just smiles a calm smile,"Balmy at this point means, wow my face isn't going to freeze off and shatter upon contact with the air."

"But ... that's exactly what -20 means."

Behind him, the other humans were falling into the room pulling on multiple layers of clothing. The human before them did the same. Two pairs of pants, and boots, and then another strange fibrous layer, and then a large fluffy jacket above that. There seemed to be no room for life support aboard their uniforms. In fact, the scientists were skeptical whether the suits were airtight enough not to lose air rather than contain it. The human pulled on a cap over his head and delicate ears, which were sure to freeze in the cold. There was no question that humans weren't meant for low temperatures, seeing as they lost heat quickly, and had no hair to keep them warm.

That might be why it seemed as if their gear was so primitive.... Perhaps because they had to develop subzero life support systems early on. The original human pulled on two pairs of gloves flexing his fingers inside the suit before donning a strange set of eyewear which he perched atop his head.

As far as they could tell ,he wore no respirator, and there was nothing protecting his eyes from freezing inside his head. The rest of the scientific group had donned their gear.... The same gear they would have worn in the vacuum of space, and then motioned towards the airlock. The humans shuffled forward with a sort of swishing squeaking noise, and the scientists followed behind them. The lead human carried a specimen tube on his back with another vrul encased on the inside looking surprisingly bored as if he was used to the human's atics by this point.

They were growing rather nervous watching them, "Aren't you going to put on your helmets?" one of them wondered through the intercom.

The humans looked down at him. Through their noses and mouths were covered by strange fibrous material, the way their eyes scrunched hinted at amusement.

Behind them, the airlock hissed shut, "Why would we do something like that."

The human hit the button and the cabin depressurized. The scientists looked on in horror expecting humans to fall to the ground dead, but they seemed more than ok. One of them walked towards the door as a decontamination spray bathed them in a fine layer of mist. The door lurched open with a clunk, and a wave of what must have been freezing cold air flooded into the cabin.