One and the Same

"Alright Sunny, you ready?"

Sunny shrugged her shoulders and flexed her hands. The metallic frame on her back was actually pretty light, and she could still move her arms. On the Captain's urging, she backed up under the cargo lift.

"Damn." Someone said, "You guys really do this to yourselves for war?" Sunny craned her neck up at the human standing above her.

"Of course, wouldn't you?" The human shook his head in astonishment but kept working.

The humans were speaking of the body modifications the Drev underwent to be better for war. Sunny had undergone two such procedures. One hand modified her upper right forearm carapace specifically to attach a modified weapon, so she wouldn't have to worry about dropping it during battle. Her second procedure had cut two rails down her posterior shell on either side of her spine; they had originally been used to carry containers for extra ammunition. Yes, the procedures had both been very painful. Once the humans had asked about them, she had been pleased to explain, and even more pleased when the humans had come up with an idea.

Behind her there was the soft slither of steel on carapace, and then the mount clicked into place.

Captain Vir put a hand on her arm and looked up, "You ok Sunny, that's about half weight."

"I'm good."

The captain gave a go to the team, and the full weight bore down on her shoulders. It wasn't too bad. The humans came forward and began strapping her into place.

Captain Vir stepped back and looked up, "That's what I'm talking about, now Sunny, you'll have an extra 200 + pounds if someone is going to operate that thing, do you think you're ready?" Sunny nodded her head vigorously excited.

"Alright," The Captain said, "hopping up on the box behind Sunny, "Get ready." She braced herself against the floor with a wide triangle stance, as one foot, and then the other came down on the metal frame strapped over her back. The weight grew and then evened out.

"Still good Sunny." When she nodded, the Captain seemed pleased, "Try to walk around."

It took her a moment to gain momentum, but once she was walking it wasn't that bad. The rest of the crew oohed and ahhed as she trotted around the room. It was just then that Krill came around the corner paused and then let off an exasperated sigh, "Hi Krill, do you like it?" The captain teased

The look on Krill's face almost reached reproachful, "Is that a machine gun?"

"Yes my friend, that's exactly what it is."

"So you mounted a machine gun on the back of a Drev, and now you are riding her like a war pony of death."

He patted Sunny on the shoulder and grinned moving the mounted weapon so it was pointing up at the ceiling. "Hell yeah, Alright Sunny, you can back it up." She did as told returning to the cargo lift. Vir Stepped off the "Buddy pegs." He hopped down to where Krill waited, "So my four legged friend, what's up?"

The little creature scrolled down on his holographic clipboard, "You received a transmission, from your brother. He's engaged, and they are setting a date for six months from now."

Vir broke out in a wide grin, "David? Yeah, thought so. It's about damn time!"

"Engaged?" Sunny wondered as the battle reference for the word didn't seem to fit in context.

Vir glanced at her, "It's when two humans become a 'mating pair' as you aliens would say. Usually involves a lot of that sort of ritualistic stuff, a big party and what not." He grinned some more, "Getting married, well good for them. They've been dancing around each other for almost four years now. Was almost worried they wouldn't make it."